Quitting!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

FazTheWookie

I've been a non-smoker since the late August Bank Holiday. No patches, gum, mints, will-power. I've been really surprised how I've gone from 25-30 a day to zero without it really bothering me. I wasn't motivated by cost, health issues, anything like that - just decided I didn't want to smoke anymore. Read the Allen Carr book and it did the trick. :-D

tyred

Legendary Member
FazTheWookie said:
I've been a non-smoker since the late August Bank Holiday. No patches, gum, mints, will-power. I've been really surprised how I've gone from 25-30 a day to zero without it really bothering me. I wasn't motivated by cost, health issues, anything like that - just decided I didn't want to smoke anymore. Read the Allen Carr book and it did the trick. :-D

That's the key I think. So long as you harbour the belief that you enjoy smoking or need to smoke, it will always be an uphill struggle, no matter what you use.

jeltz

Veteran
tyred said:
That's the key I think. So long as you harbour the belief that you enjoy smoking or need to smoke, it will always be an uphill struggle, no matter what you use.

The trouble is that the addiction is such an insidious thing that you tend to "think" you enjoy it when all you are doing is feeding the addiction in order to feel "normal". Accepting that part will make it easier to get away from the notion that smoking is a hugely pleasurable activity.

I don't buy the Allen Carr philosophy that there is zero pleasure from smoking, after all nicotine is a stimulant, but I do think that the amount of enjoyment is so massively outweighed by negatives as to make it negligible. When I think back the planning I used to have to do as a smoker it was just daft. Making sure I didn't run out, trips to late night garages if I did. Building in 5 mins here and there to smoke before entering situations and areas where I couldn't smoke just to get my fix. None of that was a pleasure, but if I didn't do it the unpleasant cravings to top up the nicotine levels made me stressed, ratty, angry and basically I would be having a bad time.

For me quitting was about regaining control and improving my health or at least reducing the risks to it, and also about not wasting so much money which could otherwise be spent on bike stuff ;)

C

chillyuk

After being a heavy smoker for 45 years and many, many failed attempts to quit, nearly two years ago I was advised to try Champix. it was an amazing experience. The quit just happened at about day 5 of taking the tablets. No side effects, no cravings, nothing. One day I was a heavy smoker, the next I just felt I wasn't a smoker. I am so glad it worked for me, and really regret the years I ruined by smoking.

phil_hg_uk

I am not a member, I am a free man !!!!!!
Good luck Tollers, I quit smoking on Jan 2008 and havent smoked since.

I used to be able to cycle about 5 miles when I smoked before I was knackered, this year I have cycled nearly 2000 miles and done two 100 mile rides and I feel much better so good luck and dont give up.

Davidc

Guru
Had a heart attack in Aug 2008.

If I hadn't stopped smoking 5 years earlier I wouldn't be annoying people by posting on CC.

I wouldn't be riding my bike 2500 miles a year.

I'd be dead.

OP
OP
Tollers

Tollers

Guru
Am doing ok so far. Doesn't seem so hard, but there are times when i'm glad i dont have any fags to hand as i knew i'd yield if they were close.

The nicotine pathces seem to be helping pretty well, but last night i suffered the side affect of bad dreams....which strangely i remember. Thats very unusual for me.

The basic theme was that id borrowed my mothers car for some reason and when i returned it had been stripped down then burnt out. For some reason my car had also been nicked. The rest of the dream was dealing with the surreal fallout.

Any psychologists in? It probably means i need nicotine. Hahaha

Tollers

OP
OP
Tollers

Tollers

Guru
p.s Thanks everyone for the advice and tips. Im taking it slowly. I know it won't be easy, but i want to rely on my own willpower as much as possible rather than zyban/champix etc. Can't wait to stop the patches. Im going to try to move from highest strenght to lowest strength in 2 weeks time, then hopefully go unassisted a few weeks later.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Davidc said:
Had a heart attack in Aug 2008.

If I hadn't stopped smoking 5 years earlier I wouldn't be annoying people by posting on CC.

I wouldn't be riding my bike 2500 miles a year.

I'd be dead.
I stopped after mine, but it still took Zyban to nail the bastards...

I'm gonna start again when I'm 90...

jeltz

Veteran
Tollers said:
The nicotine pathces seem to be helping pretty well, but last night i suffered the side affect of bad dreams....which strangely i remember. Thats very unusual for me.

Vivid, strange dreams are all part of the process, perfectly normal. You'll probably get the smoking dream as well sooner or later. The one when you dream you've been smoking and wake up all angry with yourself for having given in, then realise it was just a dream.

Well done and keep up the good work.

Tubbs

jeltz said:
Vivid, strange dreams are all part of the process, perfectly normal. You'll probably get the smoking dream as well sooner or later. The one when you dream you've been smoking and wake up all angry with yourself for having given in, then realise it was just a dream.

Well done and keep up the good work.

I still do that 16 months later! I wake up with a sinking feeling for a minute or so before realising it was just a dream.

I had horrendous dreams with the patches - much more grisly and gruesome than the ones you describe Tollers. Quite disturbing actually. ;)

phil_hg_uk

I am not a member, I am a free man !!!!!!
Well done so far Tollers ;) since I stopped smoking I find that I dont end up staying up all night on the computer. I used to chain smoke when I was on the PC and I would endup staying up till the small hours of the morning, but now because the stimulant effect of the nicotine isnt there I get tired and I am usually in bed by 11:00.

I also enjoy my food more, just today I realised that I almost always finish my meal whereas when I was smoking I would leave some and spark up a fag straight away, of course the down side is I put on more weight so need to exercise more but I suppose it is better to be fat and alive than thin and dead.

Anyway well done and do not give up it is worth it in the end take it from us.

P.S. I am now also trying to give up caffeine ;)

aka0019

Best of luck Tollers! I am down to one a day at the min and yes 1 a day sounds pointless but I still feel the need for that one. I am planning on stopping altogether over the next week or so and am dreading it. I feel like I could commit murder when I crave one!

If it wasn't for cycling and the thought of racing I wouldn't be as keen to quit.

Anyway sorry I didn't want to hijack the thread, just thought i'd share my story. So again best of luck and don't give up!

Top Bottom