Quoted £250 for front wheel - XT Dynamo on Mavic A719 rim

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

8mph

Veteran
Hi all, I asked the LBS for a quote for a new 700c front wheel with Mavic A719 rim and Shimano XT Dynamo hub, they said £250. I've checked SJS cycles and they only have the Disk option ( bike has rim brakes ). I've checked Rose bicycles and SPA cycles (who do the XT dynamo but only on a Sputnik or Exal rim).
Apparently, the flanges on the disk hub are thinner than the Rim brake version otherwise I could just get the disk wheel for £150 ish.
Has anyone got any suggestions? I can't shell out that kind of money!
Thanks for reading.
edit: (OLD is 100mm)

Last edited:

Milkfloat

An Peanut
I would take a look at https://www.taylor-wheels.com/

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
I have to admit I wasn't bothered by which wheel/hub/rim I got, so my recent dynamo hub wheel from Rose was only £72. Works ok,

jay clock

Massive member
Any reason why the Spa rims are not of interest. The wheels I got from them were both under £200 a pair and first ones rock solid on a 3000 mile ride across the US

OP
OP
8mph

8mph

Veteran
Any reason why the Spa rims are not of interest. The wheels I got from them were both under £200 a pair and first ones rock solid on a 3000 mile ride across the US
I'm unlikely to carry loads greater than 15kg and as soon as the bad weather is over I want to pop some lighter tyres on the bike so I can sustain some speed when I want to. If I buy light gear I have the option of transferring those parts onto a lighter frame.

iluvmybike

Über Member
The price of £250 doesn't seem too excessive to me - the Shimano XT dyno hub is £130, the Mavic rim around £45, plus good s/s spokes - say £40 (depending on number needed) then add the build cost - seems reasonable

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
Where are you in Devon? I build wheels for friends for rather less than shop prices. Or have you considered building yourself? A front wheel is far less critical than a rear.

OP
OP
8mph

8mph

Veteran
The price of £250 doesn't seem too excessive to me - the Shimano XT dyno hub is £130, the Mavic rim around £45, plus good s/s spokes - say £40 (depending on number needed) then add the build cost - seems reasonable
I'm finding the hub online for £59! Spa build a similar wheel for £130, the A719 is more expensive than the rims that they offer, I'm hoping to pay around £160 somewhere, for £250 I could get the wheel built up with a SON hub at SJS cycles.

OP
OP
8mph

8mph

Veteran
Where are you in Devon? I build wheels for friends for rather less than shop prices. Or have you considered building yourself? A front wheel is far less critical than a rear.
Hello Ian, I'm away until May and only popping down to the Totnes area a few times during winter. Although the idea of wheel building appeals it's not something that I'm willing to try considering the cost of these components. I've listed an old mountain bike on eBay and have a few other bits and pieces that are sitting around that could fund the new wheel. I'm now considering a SON 28 hub with DT competition spokes and A719 rim from SJS which comes in at £265. The SON hub has a good long warranty and overall it seems like a better investment.
Where abouts are you based?

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
I'd have a rethink on that XT hub if I were you.
It only puts out 1.5v compared to most hubs that give out 3v.
It'll not charge anything and will leave your lights under powered.
I made that mistake when I had a set of wheels built by Spa.
It runs nice and smooth but it's basically useless.

OP
OP
8mph

8mph

Veteran
Thanks for pointing that out, I'm looking at the SON hubs now, may as well pay a little more for less drag and a decent warranty.

rualexander

Legendary Member

Wrong information.
Standard XT dynamo hub is 6v 3w.
There may well be a 1.5 watt version available but you got your units wrong too.

Top Bottom