R.E.W Reynolds

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
biggs682

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Doing a bit of searching on the web last night and got swapping messages with another R.E.W owner and his frame has a 5 digit number and 3 digit number similar to mine and he claims his was built by Bill Hurlow !!

Earlier in the week another suggestion that soon got shot down in flames was Cottingham Reid as they were local to Northampton .

Last edited:
Ha, Ha! A secret underworld of frame builders !

OP
OP
biggs682

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
A decision has been made re the build , it's going back together in as condition and it will just get a clean as it goes along .

Had some time last night and this morning in the garage and offered up some bottom brackets before deciding on a 115mm sealed unit , i just couldn't find a cup and cone older shaft of the right length to fit required crank .

Also cleaned up the bearing surfaces on the headset cups noticing the bottom one has threads in it ??

OP
OP
biggs682

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Just had some time to apply some cutting paste and a light polish to see what it would come up like. Just a shame that the cream paintwork is not in the same condition as the red .

IMG_20181128_202952741.jpg
IMG_20181128_203002266.jpg
IMG_20181128_203007771.jpg

Also fitted a new front tyre and tube and then it was time to pack in .

woodbutcher

Veteran
OP
OP
biggs682

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Elbow grease is a marvellous thing Mr B. the frame looks really good !

I was once upon a time with chromed headstock lugs , half chromed fr forks and half chromed rear stays over the years the chrome on the lugs and forks has all but gone .

As long as it rides nicely and reliably that's all that will matter as my winter / wet weather bike

OP
OP
biggs682

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Eight months after picking this R.E.W up I finally had a couple of laps around the block on it earlier tonight .

IMG_20181203_200257329.jpg

Felt nice just a few little things to do before another test ride.

OP
OP
biggs682

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Well swapped the bottom bracket out for a longer one this morning and that has helped keep the chain on when in the smaller gears might still need a longer one but it certainly felt better on it's 3 mile road test after doing the work , i might even use it for a gentle commute today ^_^

Top Bottom