R.I.P. Cat mobile phone. 2013 - 2021

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Biker man

Thing is a lot of us have mobile phones , in fact posting from that just now. Do I phone a lot on it not really ? Do I send the odd text I do. However it also doubles up as my personal laptop. I do all my banking on it , buy things on it ? So question I is are you really free ? I only know of one person my mate whom does not own a mobile. Does not use any messaging apps at all or social media . He does the business accounts on his computer and researches the books he reads. He reads a lot ! However can be found most weekends in a book shop :laugh: . That’s about as free as you can get.
I have got two smart phones would not be without them get most things on them go hands free in the car one is just a back up they give me independent .

tyred

Legendary Member
Semaphore, pah, what’s wrong with good old fashioned smoke signals?
CO2 emissions perhaps!

Anyway they've never been the same since smokeless coal was introduced.

99% of the the time, communications are via messaging. Rarely an actual phone call and even then its a wrong number or sales. More importunely the smart phone is a necessity as it provides authentication code such as OTP for bank accounts, HMRC, etc. The phone number is also now used as a reference number by service providers to bring up your records quickly rather than you giving your name or an account number.

The phone as a device for verbal communication is no longer the case except maybe for an emergency.

classic33

Leg End Member
99% of the the time, communications are via messaging. Rarely an actual phone call and even then its a wrong number or sales. More importunely the smart phone is a necessity as it provides authentication code such as OTP for bank accounts, HMRC, etc. The phone number is also now used as a reference number by service providers to bring up your records quickly rather than you giving your name or an account number.

The phone as a device for verbal communication is no longer the case except maybe for an emergency.
If a company insists on using my mobile number, instead of account number, I'll give them the account number to bring things up. Phone number is too easy get hold off.

I'll be replacing the individual batteries in the battery on the Ericsson R250 Pro, and be using that one again. Had it since it came on the market and only had two batteries used to death, they no longer hold a charge.

99% of the the time, communications are via messaging. Rarely an actual phone call and even then its a wrong number or sales. More importunely the smart phone is a necessity as it provides authentication code such as OTP for bank accounts, HMRC, etc.
You can use an old fashioned dumb phone for that can't you?
I usually do.
Paypal etc.

Yes, you can receive voice OTP on fixed line phones and out of App OTPs as well OTP via email. They have to cater across the age spectrum. The most secure would be in-app authentication. That means the the banking app resides on your mobile phones for which you need a smart phone.
by dumb phone I meant non smart mobile. I find it very convenient - no problem.
In truth I have more worries about a smartphone being hacked - particularly mine which is oldish and hasn't had an update in ages. That's also why it's not on my main google account and has very little on it, very few apps.

by dumb phone I meant non smart mobile. I find it very convenient - no problem.
In truth I have more worries about a smartphone being hacked - particularly mine which is oldish and hasn't had an update in ages. That's also why it's not on my main google account and has very little on it, very few apps.
Yes, I took your dumb phone as non smart phone. Merely stating that one can also get OTP via fixed line and email.

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
For some reason though I refuse to listen to music and podcasts on my phone. Have a 9-year old Macbook which still has iTunes and an iPod shuffle and I intend to keep these for ever (although in reality the iPod will at some point suffer one accidental wash cycle too many- I do have a backup unit ready though!)

OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
For some reason though I refuse to listen to music and podcasts on my phone. Have a 9-year old Macbook which still has iTunes and an iPod shuffle and I intend to keep these for ever (although in reality the iPod will at some point suffer one accidental wash cycle too many- I do have a backup unit ready though!)

I understand about 3 words of that! :laugh:

I have got two smart phones would not be without them get most things on them go hands free in the car one is just a back up they give me independent .

Lord only knows how intelligent adults achieved independence before the mobile phone came along, eh? Its lord only knows how the likes of Einstein, Patton, Gandhi and Dudley Moore managed to live independently without movile phones.

Biker man

I understand about 3 words of that! :laugh:

Lord only knows how intelligent adults achieved independence before the mobile phone came along, eh? Its lord only knows how the likes of Einstein, Patton, Gandhi and Dudley Moore managed to live independently without movile phones.
You live in the time not in the past how do you message with pigeon.

Top Bottom