R.I.P. Eddie Van Halen

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Showing my ignorance.
I always assumed Halen was the singer with blond hair.
Turns out that is Roth and Halen 'purely' the guitarist.
That Roth is talented isn't he. Super fit, martial arts AND a qualified 911 medic.
I tend to think of Roth as the rock star, Eddie was the musician. He just seemed to be having fun, and making great tunes and great noise was how he did that.
They were both excellent in their roles :smile:

p.s. who the hell is this "Halen" guy?? :P

EDIT: I didn't know that both Van Halen brothers were dutch born. #poptrivia

Dave7

Legendary Member
I tend to think of Roth as the rock star, Eddie was the musician. He just seemed to be having fun, and making great tunes and great noise was how he did that.
They were both excellent in their roles :smile:

p.s. who the hell is this "Halen" guy?? :P

EDIT: I didn't know that both Van Halen brothers were dutch born. #poptrivia
Its obs innit.
Halen is Van Halen
But I can't spell Van :rolleyes:

Dave7

Legendary Member
I used to like Deep Purple but that was about as far as it went.
Ahh but I have my own classification. To me I class singers like Meat Loaf as heavy (no pun there).
I dont 'like' groups just because I should eg as a young guy I was told that the super group Cream were wonderful as they had Ginger Baker and Clapton etc in. Tried them but they did nothing for me.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Eddie Van Halen was another pioneer of the idea. The stock single-coil pickups of a Fender Stratocaster were noisy, and lacked the output necessary to drive an amplifier into hard distortion (characteristic of the Van Halen sound), but the body shape and wide pitch range of the Fender fulcrum tremolo appealed to him. An avid tinkerer, Van Halen assembled a Boogie Bodies Stratocaster body with a thin, 21-fret maple neck and a humbucking Gibson PAF pickup in the bridge slot. This guitar, known as the "Frankenstrat" was featured on Van Halen's debut album Van Halen, and pictured on the album cover. It was later repainted with a top coat of red, and has had different humbuckers over the years, some of them custom-wound.[4]
While many believe Van Halen's 1977 Frankenstrat to be the first Superstrat, Michael Hampton of Parliament-Funkadelic often used a sunburst Stratocaster with 3 humbucking pickups and a reversed headstock during the band's tours in the mid-to-late 1970s. This guitar can be seen on the DVD George Clinton: The Mothership Connection, which was filmed in 1976.

Oldhippy

Cynical idealist
Back in the day! You mean there is other music? Only kidding, still love all those bands and stuff across the spectrum unless it involves dancing boy/girl groups, I refuse to call them bands spouting mass written catchy crap or what is annoyingly called R n B these days. Think Ice Cream Man is one of Van Halen's best tunes.

OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
Just been listening to some of his work. In that style of playing I think only Nuno Bettencourt comes close. A sad loss of talent to the rock pantheon.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
If anyone fancies themselves as a Eddie VanHalen wannabe there's a Kramer 5150 on Gumtree at the moment for £260.

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
Credit to Planet Rock radio for honouring Eddie with many, many of his songs and riffs throughout the day, and for an overall melancholy feel with sadder songs like Chris Cornell's version of "nothing compares 2u" (as an example) devoted to Eddie.

Shame on Radio 2, Virgin, and all the other pap stations just basically playing "Jump" as if that's all he ever did.

Bye Eddie, we loved that sound.

Top Bottom