R.I.P. Steve Wright

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bristolian

Steve Wright and the Radio 2 djs of his generation were mostly ex Radio 1 djs.

Agreed, they moved to R2 and their fans moved with them and some R1 fans will migrate to R2 but there was always a lot less of them and youngsters get their music from Spotify and the like these days not from the radio.

There's no BBC station in between R2 & R3 so where do the people that want to listen to 60's & 70's music go? Gold Radio, Greatest Hits Radio and the other commercial stations in that space have all seen an upturn in their listener figures. Overall that's a lot of listeners lost to the Beeb.

Milzy

Guru
Also no mention of cause of death is odd....

He died ‘suddenly’ was the cause of death.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
It's being reported that he died of 'a broken heart' due to severe depression after his BBC demise. I've heard of folk dying this way when a close/loved relative dies, but never when they've lost a job. Even when that job meant so much to them. Depression, obesity related poor health, I'd speculate a heart attack as cause of death.

Milzy

Guru
It's being reported that he died of 'a broken heart' due to severe depression after his BBC demise. I've heard of folk dying this way when a close/loved relative dies, but never when they've lost a job. Even when that job meant so much to them. Depression, obesity related poor health, I'd speculate a heart attack as cause of death.

The trouble is humans love status even if they think they don’t. As people age and lose status some of them can’t cope anymore. Many will take their own lives. It’s such a sad ending. If I was Wright and got sacked I’d just join a cycling club and do some serious jockin down some country lanes.

I think it happens in all walks of life too. I can think of a few colleagues who popped their clogs shortly after retiring.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
The trouble is humans love status even if they think they don’t. As people age and lose status some of them can’t cope anymore. Many will take their own lives. It’s such a sad ending. If I was Wright and got sacked I’d just join a cycling club and do some serious jockin down some country lanes.

Or maybe he should've contacted 'Damian the social worker', asking for advice. :whistle:

Last edited:
Top Bottom