R.I.P. Steve Wright

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
I bash the Beeb all the time. I don't pay the licence, that how much I disapprove of the organisation.

Despite the technicalities over contract renewal, there's no doubt it was ineffect a sacking. Wright had been on a rolling contract and it was terminated without notice. That's as near to a sacking as someone on a contract can get as dammit is to swearing. Lets make no bones, he was treated very poorly.

He continued in his show for 3 months after the announcement

Milzy

Guru
I liked him been old school, it brought back nostalgia of better times. The afternoons became more normal, like we were all on the straight and narrow together. He had that Hammond like knowledgable side kick man and a women with him forget their names. What a team.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Sad news indeed! He didn't look too healthy in one of his last pics (on the right). I'll always remember him announcing the Twin Towers 9/11 attack with an 'and now we are going to the news desk for an urgent announcement', on his Tuesday afternoon show on I think it was Radio 2.

81220881-0-image-m-1_1707851074537.jpg

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
I see Radio 2 are trotting out the tributes. They didn't seem so fond of the old boy when they sacked him.

He wasn't sa
Sad news indeed! He didn't look too healthy in one of his last pics (on the right). I'll always remember him announcing the Twin Towers 9/11 attack with an 'and now we are going to the news desk for an urgent announcement', on his Tuesday afternoon show on I think it was Radio 2.

View attachment 721685

That's how I heard the news of 9/11 too. When it was realised how serious it was he stopped all his normal features and concentrated on news updates for the rest of the show.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
He wasn't sa

That's how I heard the news of 9/11 too. When it was realised how serious it was he stopped all his normal features and concentrated on news updates for the rest of the show.

If I remember rightly, he said that the Twin Towers building in New York had been hit by a small plane. I thought it was odd, then about 15 minutes later he said "We've just heard that another plane has hit the Twin Towers"! I said to myself "I think this is the start of world war three"!!

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Despite the technicalities over contract renewal, there's no doubt it was ineffect a sacking. Wright had been on a rolling contract and it was terminated without notice. That's as near to a sacking as someone on a contract can get as dammit is to swearing. Lets make no bones, he was treated very poorly.
I disagree. A contract is just that, once the term is up both parties are free to walk away if they wish. There is no obligation, moral or otherwise, to offer to renew.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
He was 69 I see. As soon as I saw that It sent a slight shudder down my spine. My dad died at 69, so did his dad and my mum's dad. Even my supposedly non superstitious brother fears reaching 69. :unsure:

Jameshow

Veteran
Yeap seems
I see Radio 2 are trotting out the tributes. They didn't seem so fond of the old boy when they sacked him.

Ironic for Scott Mills and Ryan Clarke to be paying tribute when they effectively killed him off. The best since Terry Wogan!

Like you I've stopped listening to R2.

Mike_P

Guru
Yeap seems

Ironic for Scott Mills and Ryan Clarke to be paying tribute when they effectively killed him off. The best since Terry Wogan!

You can't blame presenters. Higher management make the decisions and no presenter would turn down the chance.

midlife

Guru
Yeap seems

Radio 2 are doing a bit of a bit of a U turn and trying to get the old folk to tune back in again by launching their take on Boom Radio

Top Bottom