R.I.P. Steve Wright

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
If he cycled a bit he’d make late 70’s. There’s a guy on you tube who is 87 riding his steel road bike nearly everyday.

In the photos I have seen he has looked overweight for years which cannot help with health issues, but we don't know about his ailments and cannot say what cycling would have done.

An aunt of mine lived till she was 96 and never cycled in her life. If she had known the benefits of cycling on youtube she could have lived to 100.

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
But the R1 listeners are/were heading into their 40's/50's which is probably the time of life a lot of current R2 listeners joined that station back in the 90's

A lot of the modern crap people are moaning about is 80/90/00's so 20-40 years ago. Which is right for the core group they want to attract.

Happens all the time with the beeb and their push to move age groups onto the next station.

Yes. The BBC have to tailor the station to the demographic which their charter tells them.

The target demographic for radio 2 is 35-54, so presenters need to reflect that. (I’m far closer to the top than the bottom of that range)

Radio 1 is 15-29. I remember the uproar when radio 1 kicked out the likes of DLT, when they were in their late 40s.

richardfm

Veteran
Yes, I always found it peculiar that they wanted to get rid of so many excellent DJs and their listeners. Radio 2 is now Radio 1 from about 30 years ago.
Hence I now listen to Gold or Magic. I was never a huge fan of Steve Wright, but once they started to get rid of all the good shows and parachute in ex Radio 1 DJs the writing was on the wall. Zoe Ball is now down to about 7 million listeners.

Steve Wright and the Radio 2 djs of his generation were mostly ex Radio 1 djs.

postman

Legendary Member
You grow up watching and listening to people,his prog was brill his voice superb,never met him and like Private Pike Ian Lavender they leave memories and sadness when they go.It is very strange.I have never met and never shall meet Drago but for some daft reason i love seeing his post I HAVE RISEN it is his ,it is nobody elses.It's stupid i know.

Last edited:

Jody

Stubborn git
Oh shoot, what radio station am I meant to listen to now?

Radio 4

Milzy

Guru
You grow up watching and listening to people,his prog was brill his voice superb,never met him and like Private Pike Ian Lavender they leave memories and sadness when they go.It is very strange.I have never met and never shall meet Drago but for some daft reason i love seeing his post I HAVE RISEN it is his it is nobody elses.It's stupid i know.

That’s funny because I see you and Drago as been the same member sometimes.

Top Bottom