RAC car insurance taking advantage.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

byegad

Legendary Member
OK, for the last few years Lady Byegad and I have been taking turns to insure our car, one year I'm the insured and she's the other driver. The next year the other way round. We drive almost exactly the same mileage, equaling between 48-52% of the total yearly miles.

Sadly Lady Byegad has had an abscess on her brain drained and so may not drive for a minimum of 12 months, longer if doctors so decide. So as this year it's her insurance and I'm the other driver I called RAC car insurance to inform them.They cancelled the insurance forthwith, so far fair enough, and offered to quote me for a years cover for just me. We took the cover out on the 2nd of September, so less than 3 months ago. They are refunding 30% of her premium, which was just over £300. So <25% of a year's cover cost her over 66% of the premium. Then the cheating, opportunist scum quoted me over £950 for the year, starting yesterday. As they quoted me £420 to renew in September, I was with them last year, this is simply extracting the kidney waste product, big time. Needless to say I went elsewhere and paid just under £400 for the year. Neither of us have any convictions, nor had any accidents/claims, the car is a bog standard Yaris Hybrid, and other than Lady Byegad's hopefully temporary medical suspension nothing has happened in our motoring lives over the last 25 years.

RAC car insurance merely spotted that I'd need to buy insurance fast and tried to take every advantage of what they hoped was my weakened state.

THEY WERE DEAD WRONG!

classic33

Leg End Member
Glad you got it sorted, elsewhere.

Drago

Legendary Member
I just dumped RAC insurance. I had to make a change to the policy, which I did online. Not their call handler, or their agent in an office - me.

And they stuck on £20 admin charge, despite the fact they had not done any admin. I had done all the admin. I would contend that charging me for something they had not done is verging on fraudulent.

I then got on the blower and spoke to a human being, and got the fee cancelled. I then dumped them. A company only gets one chance to eff me off.

keithmac

Guru
We've been with Direct Line for years, they wanted £600 for me and the wife on our Mk2 Kuga, shopped around and got same cover for £300!.

Slick

Guru
OK, for the last few years Lady Byegad and I have been taking turns to insure our car, one year I'm the insured and she's the other driver. The next year the other way round. We drive almost exactly the same mileage, equaling between 48-52% of the total yearly miles.

Sadly Lady Byegad has had an abscess on her brain drained and so may not drive for a minimum of 12 months, longer if doctors so decide. So as this year it's her insurance and I'm the other driver I called RAC car insurance to inform them.They cancelled the insurance forthwith, so far fair enough, and offered to quote me for a years cover for just me. We took the cover out on the 2nd of September, so less than 3 months ago. They are refunding 30% of her premium, which was just over £300. So <25% of a year's cover cost her over 66% of the premium. Then the cheating, opportunist scum quoted me over £950 for the year, starting yesterday. As they quoted me £420 to renew in September, I was with them last year, this is simply extracting the kidney waste product, big time. Needless to say I went elsewhere and paid just under £400 for the year. Neither of us have any convictions, nor had any accidents/claims, the car is a bog standard Yaris Hybrid, and other than Lady Byegad's hopefully temporary medical suspension nothing has happened in our motoring lives over the last 25 years.

RAC car insurance merely spotted that I'd need to buy insurance fast and tried to take every advantage of what they hoped was my weakened state.

THEY WERE DEAD WRONG!
Dirty robbing rat bags. Glad they won't get any more of your cash. Disgusting really

Globalti

Legendary Member
The same commercial principles exist everywhere. If the provider or seller thinks the client or buyer has no choice they will overcharge brazenly. One sucker pays for every one who goes elsewhere.

Dave7

Legendary Member
Well done.
Hope Lady Byegad recovers quickly.
I was with Hasting last year. Cant recall exact figures but my 'renewal letter' stated it was going up by, say, £30. I went online (Go Compare) and the cheapest was........Hastings, at £20 less. So I phoned them, they did a bit of checking and offered me £40 less:wacko:......how does that work. I snatched his hand off though.

Smudge

Veteran
RAC have always been well expensive whenever i've had a quote from them.
The last couple of years i've been with Quote Me Happy and last renewal they never hiked the renewal price up like most ins companies do. I still did the usual comparison sites, but couldn't beat it.
Currently pay £175 f/c for a 1.0l Focus.

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
Insurance is no different to gas, electricity, broadband supplier. They are all the same.

Nigeyy

Legendary Member
Similar thing with the equivalent of an American AA; they tried to charge me admin charges (been a loyal customer for over 20 years with a couple of tows required so they definitely have their money out of me) and I was not pleased. Called an actual person, asked to talk with someone up the chain, told them how angry I was they were doing this to a loyal customer, got refunded. Just peed off they even tried it.

Am now considering dropping them as I've really used them so rarely. It's a nice insurance to have, but they've managed to pee me off.

I just dumped RAC insurance. I had to make a change to the policy, which I did online. Not their call handler, or their agent in an office - me.

And they stuck on £20 admin charge, despite the fact they had not done any admin. I had done all the admin. I would contend that charging me for something they had not done is verging on fraudulent.

I then got on the blower and spoke to a human being, and got the fee cancelled. I then dumped them. A company only gets one chance to eff me off.

Top Bottom