RAC car insurance taking advantage.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
I got caught out this year by Rias. The premium has gone up from £600 to £1100 and they automatically take the money from my account. Unfortunately I was laid up with a gallstone removal and was not able to do the extensive phone calls needed to get other quotes. Not that it would have done much good probably as nobody will quote online and nobody wants to know on the phone either as my age is against me and they will not take new business once over 80.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
OK, for the last few years Lady Byegad and I have been taking turns to insure our car, one year I'm the insured and she's the other driver. The next year the other way round. We drive almost exactly the same mileage, equaling between 48-52% of the total yearly miles.

Sadly Lady Byegad has had an abscess on her brain drained and so may not drive for a minimum of 12 months, longer if doctors so decide. So as this year it's her insurance and I'm the other driver I called RAC car insurance to inform them.They cancelled the insurance forthwith, so far fair enough, and offered to quote me for a years cover for just me. We took the cover out on the 2nd of September, so less than 3 months ago. They are refunding 30% of her premium, which was just over £300. So <25% of a year's cover cost her over 66% of the premium. Then the cheating, opportunist scum quoted me over £950 for the year, starting yesterday. As they quoted me £420 to renew in September, I was with them last year, this is simply extracting the kidney waste product, big time. Needless to say I went elsewhere and paid just under £400 for the year. Neither of us have any convictions, nor had any accidents/claims, the car is a bog standard Yaris Hybrid, and other than Lady Byegad's hopefully temporary medical suspension nothing has happened in our motoring lives over the last 25 years.

RAC car insurance merely spotted that I'd need to buy insurance fast and tried to take every advantage of what they hoped was my weakened state.

THEY WERE DEAD WRONG!
Glad you got it sorted.

At times like this, it's often worth asking the call handler if they can escalate to their manager for advice how their stance sits with the FCA guidelines on treating vulnerable customers.

You might be surprised at the response.

Top Bottom