Race eligibility

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

henshaw11

Even the UCI admit time trial bikes as a different type. They are not allowed in a road race. So the principle of accommodating different types is already established. I cannot think of a single valid objection to 'bents entering time trials. .

Indeed, but it's still a defined type, and not that far adrift from nonTT bikes. The fact that timetrials feature separate riders eliminates the sort of safety concerns that might be present otherwise, but why *should* they change them to allow 'bents ? You wouldn't insist that footballers are allowed to pick up the ball, would you? No, 'cos there's rugby and aussie rules football...

byegad

Legendary Member
What's interesting is the UCI's record on resisting change. gears, of any kind nearly didn't get into their rule book. Moulton's small wheels were banned in the 1960s. The hour is a good example of where innovations could be found. Until Obree went 'too far'! Now you go back to the future as far as the bike allowed for this event is concerned.

Mr Haematocrit

msg me on kik for android
Even the UCI admit time trial bikes as a different type. They are not allowed in a road race. So the principle of accommodating different types is already established. I cannot think of a single valid objection to 'bents entering time trials.

I would not wish to see F1 cars and touring cars go head to head, equally I would not like to see time trail bikes in a road race. The fact the UCI have accommodated different bikes is not debated but they are correct to keep them seperate from one another, one type of bike or vehicle may have an advantage is certain situations and you want to see the best rider obtain sucess. Where would you draw the line I expect many people can not think of an valid objection to using electrically assisted bikes.

Race like with like, bents should race bents, f1 against f1, horses against horses.... The interest is to see who is best under the rules stated against similar machinery. I would quickly loose interest in pro racing if it became a run what you brung event.

tongskie01

I would not wish to see F1 cars and touring cars go head to head, equally I would not like to see time trail bikes in a road race. The fact the UCI have accommodated different bikes is not debated but they are correct to keep them seperate from one another, one type of bike or vehicle may have an advantage is certain situations and you want to see the best rider obtain sucess. Where would you draw the line I expect many people can not think of an valid objection to using electrically assisted bikes.

Race like with like, bents should race bents, f1 against f1, horses against horses.... The interest is to see who is best under the rules stated against similar machinery. I would quickly loose interest in pro racing if it became a run what you brung event.

bents are innovations in bicycle design which is still improving while diamond frame bicycle has reached its limit. we wouldn't really see which design is superior til we allow them to race each other in the professional level.

BUT. Mochet's 1930s version did lead the pack in several professional races. AND the rider was not a top rider. But the peloton couldn't pass him.

See for yourself. http://www.recumbents.com/wisil/misc/velocar.htm

Just read it - there's a difference between leading the pack momentarily and winning a race. You say they couldn't pass him - they were probably waiting for the next climb while enjoying the tow he was giving them.. ;)

The article sums it up really - he couldn't keep pace going uphill and couldn't work with others in a paceline. They would be a liability in any 'conventional' road or circuit race.

Mr Haematocrit

bents are innovations in bicycle design which is still improving while diamond frame bicycle has reached its limit. we wouldn't really see which design is superior til we allow them to race each other in the professional level.

Downhill mountain bikes are an innovation as well, do you think bents should be racing these as well at professional level?
What evidence do you have to support your statement that diamond frame bicycle design has reached its limit. Traditionally the frames used today are made to comply with the UCI rules as they stand. This is no evidence that the design has reached its limits, even within the rules innovations have been made such as those seen on the trek donone.
Allowing two different machines to race does not prove which is superior, if you took a F1 car and raced on gravel against a WRC car, the F1 car would loose as they were built to different rules and for different purpose.

tongskie01

sorry but your comparison doesnt make sense. were talking about road bikes here. based on logic you wouldn't race a machine if you think its inferior to others since the goal is to win. regarding diamond frame design, its unchanged til now. improved frame materials? yes, but other than that nothing has changed to diamond frame design.

sorry but your comparison doesnt make sense. were talking about road bikes here. based on logic you wouldn't race a machine if you think its inferior to others since the goal is to win. regarding diamond frame design, its unchanged til now. improved frame materials? yes, but other than that nothing has changed to diamond frame design.

are you seriously advocating that recumbents should be allowed to race alongside 'conventional' machines..??

Mr Haematocrit

based on logic you wouldn't race a machine if you think its inferior to others since the goal is to win.

No I think you should not race one machine against another if it offers a potential advantage based on its design alone, I would not wish to see a F1 car race against a Foruma Ford as it proves nothing with regards to who is the best driver or who has the best vehicle. They were made for different rule sets and budgets.

The reason why bents do not race traditional bikes is that they do not conform or present a compeditive alternative with the UCI rules as they currently stand, comply with the rules first and then you have the start of a debate.

byegad

Legendary Member
are you seriously advocating that recumbents should be allowed to race alongside 'conventional' machines..??
Given the scepticism shown ere about the competitiveness of bents... What is anyone afraid of? If they'll be so slow up hills that they can't win a race what is the issue?

Given the scepticism shown ere about the competitiveness of bents... What is anyone afraid of? If they'll be so slow up hills that they can't win a race what is the issue?

Safety is the issue. Have you ever been in a road race bunch? 70 riders on conventional bikes, plus one on a recumbent, in the middle of the pack, with a field of vision at least 4ft lower than everyone else. Don't make me spell it out.....

Top Bottom