Race eligibility

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

byegad

Legendary Member
But if they can't compete they won't be there for long. Anyway it's irrelevant as the UCI's not going to change.

I don't think I was arguing that TT bikes should be allowed in road races. I was arguing that cycling's governing body should admit bents as a category. Remember they are completely banned! Remember too that the 'safety' arguments are a recent creation. Bents were originally just a bike racing other bikes. They were banned because a second cat. pro was living with and sometimes beating first cat pros. And that got up the manufacturers and their nostrils. I don't think the UCI does 'high minded' or 'principle' it is simply a reactionary bunch of self promoting blazers who don't like change. They seem to regard sixties and seventies are the ideal era. Of course that when they were racing!

Mr Haematocrit

msg me on kik for android
would like to see a bent on the cobbled classics, just out of interest. Im yet to see a vid of a bent in this enviroment. I would have equally been interested to see how one coped with that mental climb at the end of stage one TDF this year.

Mr Haematocrit

msg me on kik for android
So it's not that they're faster, or slower? It's an 'Elf and Safety issue'... right.

Well the UCI rules for bicycle racing specifys how high the bottom bracket can be above the ground along with how far it can be in front of the seat, and how close to the front wheel it can be. Contary to popular belief it does not state that bents are banned or prohibited. It's just that the manufacturers of bents do not wish to or unable to work within the rules as they stand.
That's the reality - paint it anyway you want.

tongskie01

Safety is the issue. Have you ever been in a road race bunch? 70 riders on conventional bikes, plus one on a recumbent, in the middle of the pack, with a field of vision at least 4ft lower than everyone else. Don't make me spell it out.....

so youre saying only one recumbent in a bunch of seventy? why cant we not make it 50/50 then well see the tactics change.

The problem with black'n'yellows argument is that 'bents were once allowed in road races. I have read no account of the carnage that ensued!

do you mean the race linked earlier, when the guy from the 1930s rode off the front, then got dropped on the first climb? I don't know of any other races, and certanly none in 'modern' times. I'm suprised that none of you can see the potential for accidents here. Road races are dangerous enough, without allowing circus bikes into the bunch. Unless you actually have first-hand experience of 'modern' bunch racing, then I honestly doubt if I will be getting through to any of you. I don't mean that to sound arrogant, but there we are.

tongskie01

you're missing the point fairly comprehensively there. I'm talking about race safety - not tactics. I didn't event mention tactics.

youre missing my point too. recumbents doesnt need to be in the peloton of df riders its a disadvantage. if theres enough numbers of recumbents they can have theyre own peloton. thats why the change of tactics and youre safety issue.

youre missing my point too. recumbents doesnt need to be in the peloton of df riders its a disadvantage. if theres enough numbers of recumbents they can have theyre own peloton. thats why the change of tactics and youre safety issue.

so now you are suggesting that recumbents should be set off separately in their own group..? So much for integrating them into the same race... :wacko:

tongskie01

why would you limit racing to only one recumbent in 70 riders? and talk about safety issue? there's a lot of recumbent racers which would be happy to have a go?

why would you limit racing to only one recumbent in 70 riders? and talk about safety issue? there's a lot of recumbent racers which would be happy to have a go?

I never suggested any such limit - nor would I, because one would be too many. The comment of mine you are referring to was made in the context of the pic that was posted earlier, which showed one rider off the front of a sportive group. The point I am trying (and evidently failing) to get across to you is that recumbents and conventional cycles would patently not be safe in the same race.

Top Bottom