Race ready Bike with disc brakes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

richie244

So I am researching cycling in general to move from just commuting to using it as a hobby to maintain fitness and push my self so please excuse this if it is a stupid question.

I have read a few mags this week with cycling weekly giving a good insight into disc brakes, how they have been banned from Pro competitions and why. They also explain that they are not permitted in lower level competitions at this time.

My question relates to many bike adverts where they clearly advertise a bike with disc brakes as "race ready". How can they be race ready if they are not permitted? I assume that they must be allowed in a different type of race that doesn't involve riding in a group.

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
I assume that they must be allowed in a different type of race that doesn't involve riding in a group.
Nope, perhaps exception of TT's

OP
OP
richie244

richie244

That's interesting as just looking at my other hobbies (sports) their governing bodies state that they monitor such advertising.

From the replies then someone could go into a shop and buy a "race ready" bike; turn up at the start line and be turned away. Assuming they did no research etc of course.

Wafer

Veteran
Yup.
They were starting to allow disc bikes in races, so bike makers started making disc versions of their racier bikes. Then someone in pro peleton blamed a nasty looking injury they got in a race crash on discs (though as I understand it blaming the disc was mostly guesswork) so they've backed off allowing them, at least for now.

Doubt it'll be the last we see of discs in the peleton, just getting some knee jerk reactions at the moment.

huwsparky

Über Member
Bike makers want to pass this through to tap into the MAMIL market.

The likes of you and me racing won't be allowed to use them anyway...

Top Bottom