Racing Log - Hillingdon 2/3

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

walker

do you ever get that feeling that today is going to be a bad day?

I took the mrs to her first club meeting and took the race bike just to get some early warm up, halfway up the road and the rear mech isn't shifting. So I pop into LBS and they appeared to of got it to move. So I head back home and it doesn't shift again, this is the last I need after I did'nt get much sleep last night. Anyway another half an hour in the LBS and we finally got the rear mech to work, somehow the cable came loose.
Anyway back to the race. I was able to get there in time to get two warm up laps in. the race heads off and I shall point out it's very windy today. the first 2 laps am I'm spent already and Already thinking of just pulling off and let the rest carry on without me, but I persevere and follow everyone round. the back straight was very slow, the front fighting into the wind and dropping speed made the rest of the pack slightyly dangerous as everone was pulling on the brakes and someone pulls off with a puncture, a newby on a flat bar, but we all start somewhere. not many droppers today, I think we had a total of about 3 so very low compared to last week.
Everything is going well till out of no where two riders ride straight on at a hairpin corner right in front of me, leading me to have to go off road, the two riders knew my appreciation of this with a few chosen words, leaving me to have to sprint to catch the group, I really didn't need to be wasting this energy, as we was about 5 laps from the end and I wanted the shelter from the group but I was able to get back on and hold a wheel.

The bell goes for the last lap and the pace picks up, riders are all accross the road and I can't find a way through but come the back straight and I',m moving up. the sprint straight is a slight up hill and I'm calling I'm making my way up and for the slower riders to make way. I was able to only get 21st position, but I knew I had to make a move earlier. A good ride, much better riders than last week so no major upset's some of the riders where slightly all over the place and I did have to try and miss going into the odd rider but all in all a great day.

Keith Oates

Janner
Another interesting report walker, I'm sure the two visits to the LBS is not something you want to repeat on future race days!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OP
OP
walker

walker

Dave5N said:
Good report walker - sounds like you'll be getting some decent results soon. Are you 3rd cat yet?

Not yet Dave, Still only 4th cat, I'm only on my 6th race of my life and 2nd of the season.

Last year was my first year's racing but I worked weekends last year getting home at 12 midnight at the earliest. then getting up at 8 in the morning to then drive to the middle of no where and race, I was spent. this year I've not had to work and result's have been better. I just need a little more race focus and not just ride the bike

Top Bottom