Radical adjustable bar stem

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

RD1

Regular
Thanks everyone for your comments/questions.
Here are some photos of the current 3-D design images.
I will update ASAP with materials and weights and strengths performance etc.
The logo 'SY-STEM' is copyright and further patents pending...
Thanks
Rich

Attachments

• 20170408_111340.jpg
    20170408_111340.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 92
  • 20170408_110328.jpg
    20170408_110328.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 74

Drago

Legendary Member
One issue. When one adjusts the stem from its highest point, down through the arc of adjustment to its lowest point - for sake of argument - the orientation of the handlebars themselves will changed, and the controls will have rotated to the wrong position. Is there a means of adjustment to counter that? If not, that's a major flaw.

All you have there is a concept drawing. Whilst I get the fact you want to protect your concept, it is a little bit too premature to talk about Patent Pending. What you really mean is that you are thinking that you should patent it. I suggest there is plenty of prior art to make it impossible to get a patent.

A two-bolt handlebar clamp is going to get you into trouble. You need the redundancy of four bolts there.

The single bolt in the telescopic section leaves you with a squirming joint (dynamic joint) in the stem extension section. This will do two things:
1) Drive the owner mad with its creaking.
2) Seize.

You need to drain/prevent water from entering the telescopic section.

No need to go and have a materials discussion. Your material will have to be aluminium. You have no choice.

The design negates 1/2 of your market and that is riders who, for whatever reason, temporarily want a very short stem. The design doesn't allow that, only extensions in the 90 - 120mm region, I'd guess.

You still have not demonstrated an adequate swivel fixture.

OP
OP
R

RD1

Regular
All you have there is a concept drawing. Whilst I get the fact you want to protect your concept, it is a little bit too premature to talk about Patent Pending. What you really mean is that you are thinking that you should patent it. I suggest there is plenty of prior art to make it impossible to get a patent.

A two-bolt handlebar clamp is going to get you into trouble. You need the redundancy of four bolts there.

The single bolt in the telescopic section leaves you with a squirming joint (dynamic joint) in the stem extension section. This will do two things:
1) Drive the owner mad with its creaking.
2) Seize.

You need to drain/prevent water from entering the telescopic section.

No need to go and have a materials discussion. Your material will have to be aluminium. You have no choice.

The design negates 1/2 of your market and that is riders who, for whatever reason, temporarily want a very short stem. The design doesn't allow that, only extensions in the 90 - 120mm region, I'd guess.

You still have not demonstrated an adequate swivel fixture.

Thanks Yellow Saddle
I have a United States utility patent for it and there is scope for further patents.
Four bolt bar clamp, noted.
Yes, telescoping section - we propose either oval sections or groove and bead to make it more rigid. Length- yes you have point - we may have to offer a range of telescoping length adjustment ranges.
Water drain or seal at the annulus, noted.
Alluminium, noted - yes that would likely be the material most would be made of. If e.g. titanium might be too expensive...
Please explain 'adequate swivel fixture'
Thanks very much
Rich

Thanks Yellow Saddle
I have a United States utility patent for it and there is scope for further patents.
Four bolt bar clamp, noted.
Yes, telescoping section - we propose either oval sections or groove and bead to make it more rigid. Length- yes you have point - we may have to offer a range of telescoping length adjustment ranges.
Water drain or seal at the annulus, noted.
Alluminium, noted - yes that would likely be the material most would be made of. If e.g. titanium might be too expensive...
Please explain 'adequate swivel fixture'
Thanks very much
Rich

It should've read"an adequate swivel fixture."

Basically I'm curious about the swivel retention mechanism. What locks the rotating swivel?

OP
OP
R

RD1

Regular
One issue. When one adjusts the stem from its highest point, down through the arc of adjustment to its lowest point - for sake of argument - the orientation of the handlebars themselves will changed, and the controls will have rotated to the wrong position. Is there a means of adjustment to counter that? If not, that's a major flaw.

Thanks Drago
Yes - the user would have to rotate the their bars so that their brake levers etc are in their preferred position- as you have to with all stems. The bar clamp allows this.
Cheers
Rich

Drago

Legendary Member
I'm beginning to think that with such comprehensive tool twiddling required it may be just as easy - as well as cheaper and more rigid - to slip on a different stem.

I'm out.

OP
OP
R

RD1

Regular
It should've read"an adequate swivel fixture."

Basically I'm curious about the swivel retention mechanism. What locks the rotating swivel?

Like it - good question:
There is a central bolt and a peripheral failsafe bolt that also locks in the angle position within the rotating mechanism.
It is a 'micro-adjust' mechanism whereby the angle can be changed in small increments...say between 5 and 10 degree increments. This may be revised following feedback.
Thanks
Rich

OP
OP
R

RD1

Regular
I'm beginning to think that with such comprehensive tool twiddling required it may be just as easy - as well as cheaper and more rigid - to slip on a different stem.

I'm out.

Fair enough Drago
However- with mine you only have to buy one, fit it once and probably only adjust it a little bit once or twice in years whereas you might have to buy several different fixed stems and still not be able to obtain your ideal position......
Cheers
Rich

S-Express

However- with mine you only have to buy one, fit it once and probably only adjust it a little bit once or twice in years whereas you might have to buy several different fixed stems and still not be able to obtain your ideal position......

Stems are relatively cheap though - and with the added benefit of none of the potential failure points of yours, if looking to use such a thing over the longer term.

Presumably you have some kind of 'slot' fitting in order to stop the telescopic part twisting (as the clamp will probably not hold it)

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
First I thought....that's just daft.
Then I thought, hasn't there been one before?
And then I thought....that would be really useful, not as a permanent fixture necessarily, but to help get a new bike properly dialled-in , then replace it with an appropriate rigid stem. If it didn't cost a zillion dollars I'd keep one for experimenting.
Good luck!

OP
OP
R

RD1

Regular
And then I thought....that would be really useful, not as a permanent fixture necessarily, but to help get a new bike properly dialled-in , then replace it with an appropriate rigid stem. If it didn't cost a zillion dollars I'd keep one for experimenting.
Good luck!

Thanks Fab!
Interesting...
From the feedback I'm getting there will likely be some design mods.
Great if it only succeeds commercially as a 'set up' product - hope we can develop it so it is successful as a stem in its own right.
Maybe the 'set up product' would be a good starting point...
Had thought it can be built in to all new bikes AND offered as an after market product to replace existing fixed stems/ improve / allow customers to obtain most comfortable position to bring a solution to their individual needs. Plus e.g. for hire bikes with different people needing the adjustment range...
What price range would you be comfortable with?
Cheers
Rich

OP
OP
R

RD1

Regular
Stems are relatively cheap though - and with the added benefit of none of the potential failure points of yours, if looking to use such a thing over the longer term.

Presumably you have some kind of 'slot' fitting in order to stop the telescopic part twisting (as the clamp will probably not hold it)

Thanks S-Express
Yes- we're considering bead and groove or oval sections for the telescoping sections- maybe even triple telescoping sections to give the length range of adjustment- but this brings more cost and needs extra strengthening....
However if that is what people say they need/ want the additional cost might not be prohibitive...
Cheers
Rich

OP
OP
R

RD1

Regular
Good luck!

Additional Fab:
By definition of U.S. utility patent it is unique...
Cheers
Rich

S-Express

Thanks S-Express
Yes- we're considering bead and groove or oval sections for the telescoping sections- maybe even triple telescoping sections to give the length range of adjustment- but this brings more cost and needs extra strengthening....
However if that is what people say they need/ want the additional cost might not be prohibitive...
Cheers
Rich

If I'm honest, I can see this being used on a frame jig, or as part of some kind of set-up or bike-fit process. In that sense, the telescopic element has value and gives it an advantage over similar adjustable stems, which only adjust for angle.

As a road-going stem though, I think it may end up being necessarily over-engineered and therefore probably too heavy, too expensive or too unstable.

Top Bottom