Radio 4

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
No long pip any more? :cry:
I get the long pip on my Android tablet! Its clock tends to drift away from the true time so I use ClockSync to help me reset it to the correct time. It is not possible to do that automatically without 'rooting' the device, which I don't want to do, so I use ClockSync's 'pips' signal to tell me exactly when to click the clock time setting button.

swansonj

Guru
There was a time when they used an accordion rather than orchestral arrangement of Barwick Green for, if memory serves, the Sunday omnibus. They also, once upon a time, used to use a later section of the piece rather than the opening melody for "doom music" at the end of particularly dramatic episodes.
Ceasing the use of the doom music was one of the many crimes to be laid at the door of Vanessa Whitburn, former editor. When Phil Archer died, there was a petition to bring it back for one episode only in tribute to Norman Painting's long association with the program - she refused, though using Dream of Gerontius instead was reasonably sensitive. But after the extended trial episode recently we got extended signature tune which deliciously did include the doom music...

U

User482

There was a time when they used an accordion rather than orchestral arrangement of Barwick Green for, if memory serves, the Sunday omnibus. They also, once upon a time, used to use a later section of the piece rather than the opening melody for "doom music" at the end of particularly dramatic episodes.

And with that sentence, I am transported, Proust-like, back to my childhood. Given that I was subjected to the Archers for something like fifteen years and cannot recall anything other than the theme tune, either I developed a refined survival mechanism, or it really was the case that nothing notable ever happened.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
And with that sentence, I am transported, Proust-like, back to my childhood. Given that I was subjected to the Archers for something like fifteen years and cannot recall anything other than the theme tune, either I developed a refined survival mechanism, or it really was the case that nothing notable ever happened.
The latter.

Yellow Fang

Legendary Member
I hate the farking Archers, but now there is a R4 programme I hate even more: The Listening Project; or as it should be known as: The Switch Over to Radio 5 Live Project.

Tim Hall

Ceasing the use of the doom music was one of the many crimes to be laid at the door of Vanessa Whitburn, former editor. When Phil Archer died, there was a petition to bring it back for one episode only in tribute to Norman Painting's long association with the program - she refused, though using Dream of Gerontius instead was reasonably sensitive. But after the extended trial episode recently we got extended signature tune which deliciously did include the doom music...
This man speaks the truth.

Oxo

Guru
Ancient Chinese proverb says 'man with two clocks never knows the right time'

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
Frighteningly, that was probably about the time when I listened regularly. And was a regular reader of the newsgroup uk.media.radio.archers, which in tendency to digress and ability to elicit surprising and interesting discussions approached cyclechat.

I'm sure something happened, but I'm not entirely sure what.

Glow worm

Legendary Member
Heathens! Both The Listening Project and Moneybox are excellent programmes (although I agree Moneybox Live can be a bit shoot). The LP has had some reallt fascinating discussions on it.

Perhaps I'll give it another chance then. It does seem to be on pretty much all the time so quite hard to miss! I really don't think I could face an edition of Moneybox Live though,

I hate the farking Archers, but now there is a R4 programme I hate even more: The Listening Project; or as it should be known as: The Switch Over to Radio 5 Live Project.
Yeah Fi Glover is hard work...but get past that and some of the conversations are ok ish...totally agree on the Fartchers, its like Emmerdale in 1D...grim

Top Bottom