Radio 4

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tim Hall

Frighteningly, that was probably about the time when I listened regularly. And was a regular reader of the newsgroup uk.media.radio.archers, which in tendency to digress and ability to elicit surprising and interesting discussions approached cyclechat.

I'm sure something happened, but I'm not entirely sure what.
Umra:A newsgroup for the sort of people who might listen to The Archers. I used to contribute on there, had an umra T shirt (in Barwick Green, obvs). @swansonj , were you on there too?

Reactions: srw

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
Umra:A newsgroup for the sort of people who might listen to The Archers. I used to contribute on there, had an umra T shirt (in Barwick Green, obvs). @swansonj , were you on there too?
It's a small world. I was supposed to be writing a thesis, but the internet was far more interesting.

Tim Hall

Changed it? When? That tune has had me sprinting for the off button for over 30 years, I was sure it had always been the same.
It went from mono to stereo a few years ago, with subtle changes to the performance at the same time. Still Barwick Green though.

robjh

Legendary Member
Well I say changed it. The score is the same but they sort of "Worzeled " it at the start of the programme some years back. I think they still use the original for the end of the programme though.
It's lucky they kept it close enough to the old version though, as I would hate to have missed the cue and ended up listening to the twaddle of Ambridge :stop:

swansonj

Guru
I was a subscriber from its inception to Archers (s)Addicts, the cast-run merchandising rip-off fan club. I built up a collection of Archers books. I still have my Daniel Archer Christening mug. But my online presence pretty much started only with Mustardland (the original Beeb version, hosted by Keri Davis, then I think still quite recently RAF).

Salty seadog

Space Cadet...(3rd Class...)
Some years ago there was a Christmas special done by the I'm sorry I haven't a clue lot in the Humphrey Lyttleton days with notable guests like Sandi Toksvik.
The long pip had been stolen and all sorts of capers unfolded as the cast tried to find it.

God bless Barry Crier by the way.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
That is very true. It's tedium on a par with 'Moneybox Live'. Quite an achievement really!
I'm not sure ''You and Yawn'' is any better.
Well I say changed it. The score is the same but they sort of "Worzeled " it at the start of the programme some years back. I think they still use the original for the end of the programme though.
I think they might still use the, er, ''folk'' version at the beginning of the omnibus edition. If my memory serves me right, there was too much of an outcry when they tried to use it as a replacement.

Is anyone still listening to The Archers ? I’ve been a listener since about 2010 but I must admit it’s beginning to grate a bit now. The latest misfortunes to befall the Grundys have made me realise that in all the time I’ve been following it I can’t recall a single example of mobility between the haves and the have-nots. Despite tragedies, ordeals, misjudgements and criminal convictions, the Archers/Aldridges/Elliotts etc will always remain lords of the manor and the Grundys/Horobins etc will always remain their serfs. How depressing.
I also note with some disquiet that even the name of the programme reflects this, the 1950’s BBC deference to hierarchy naming the programme after the lords of the manor rather than the village itself.

alicat

Legendary Member
Holy thread resurrection, Batman!

I've been listening to the Archers since about 1977-8.

Chris Carter (a Horrobin on his mother's side) married Alice Carter. Elizabeth Archer married Nigel Pargetter (more like the lord of the manor than the various branches of the Archer family.

The Grundies have had umpteen leg-ups from Oliver Stirling btw.

lazybloke

Considering a new username
Is anyone still listening to The Archers ? I’ve been a listener since about 2010 but I must admit it’s beginning to grate a bit now. The latest misfortunes to befall the Grundys have made me realise that in all the time I’ve been following it I can’t recall a single example of mobility between the haves and the have-nots. Despite tragedies, ordeals, misjudgements and criminal convictions, the Archers/Aldridges/Elliotts etc will always remain lords of the manor and the Grundys/Horobins etc will always remain their serfs. How depressing.
I also note with some disquiet that even the name of the programme reflects this, the 1950’s BBC deference to hierarchy naming the programme after the lords of the manor rather than the village itself.

I had a brief interest in TV soaps in the late 80s but saw the error of my ways.

Are radio soaps also dross, or am i missing something amazing?

OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
An update.

I still love radio 4, but can no longer stand do so. Since a certain big referendum the politics has been cranked up to 11.

I don't do politics. I don't care. Politics on a political programme, or even the news, is fine because I know not to listen to those shows.

However, they can't help themselves and even the comedians are cracking political jokes and scoring points for their own little chums. I'll let you decide what part of the political spectrum they tend to inhabit.

So it's world service now, and hoping that doesn't go the same way.

Please, no politics, no political observations, no right-on political jokes, except in a politics programme please, then at least we have the choice to be washing our hair when it comes on. I suspect my entreaties will fall on deaf ears at the Beeb, but hey ho- it's not like I have a TV licence :laugh:

Top Bottom