Radio 4

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

classic33

Leg End Member
Yep. Quite a lag TV vs digi radio vs analogue radio.

So what is the correct time? :scratch:
UCT, GMT or BST?

classic33

Leg End Member
Drago you need to get out more! The Archers is shocking as are most of the daytime dramas which consist of hammy actors putting on posh accents..."oh vicar, what a splendid floral display and such a jolly bigoted middle class garden party this is turning out to be" R4 News programmes excellent, dramas narrow and insipid!
Nah then lad, summatup

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
I love Radio 4. The news, the drama, particularly The Archers. Even the hemp woven kaftans of the man hating guests on Womans Hour make me smile. Yes, even the downright communist comedians make me chuckle.

However, this last bastion of the stiff upper lipped British idyl has been ruined. Someone has been tinkering with the pips.

On the hour there would be five short pips and a long pip. This was a British institution as ingrained as pith helmets and cream teas. A subject of Her Majesty knew where they stood with the pips. However, some mad man has been at them and now they are five short pips followed by an even shorter pip.

Who's stolen the long pip, and why?

Its not a manly thing to do you know, admitting to listening to womens hour. What a wuss :laugh:

Rest at ease. Here's some big pips to keep you going.

Golden_Delicious_Apple_Seed.JPG

classic33

Leg End Member
Everythings getting smaller I mean look at a Topic or a Mars bar :smile:
That's so you'll buy more though. The "Pips" are already paid for!

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
I still miss the R4 theme tune that used to open the station in the mornings. I think it was ditched in the 90's.

24 April 2006 - a dark day in radio history...

It was on the radio again today. Radio 3, that is, about 50 minutes before @Glow worm was posting. That old conservative romantic Ken Loach chose it as one of his selections in his interview with Sarah Walker.
http://bbc.in/2dL9qk4

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
They what? :eek:
There was a time when they used an accordion rather than orchestral arrangement of Barwick Green for, if memory serves, the Sunday omnibus. They also, once upon a time, used to use a later section of the piece rather than the opening melody for "doom music" at the end of particularly dramatic episodes.

Top Bottom