Radio 4

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
We've probably done this before but how lucky we are to have R4. It's a beacon of good sense, good programmes in a dumbed down media age. I listened to Michael Rosen on 'Word of Mouth' earlier - entertaining, amusing, informative, I'd recommend it on Listen Again if you get the time.

Obviously not every prog is a winner for me but there's plenty that are; I just hope they don't mess it up sometime.

Dave5N

Über Member
I go through phases with it.

It would be a lot better if they scrapped 'You and Yours'

Always puts me off R4 for the day, somehow.

Radio 4 is excellent.;) Well, most of the time, anyway...
Me car radio has been broken for the last four months, but it's sorted now so I was able to listen to Word of Mouth coming home from work today.
That's what I love about R4, you never know what you're going to get when you tune in.
Oh, and I love The Archers as well.:biggrin:

Smeggers

Excellent all of it.

Except for Melvyn Braggs thing, slightly too eclectic for me Im afraid.

What happened to that Country type thing that used to be on at lunchtimes? I used to love that.

bobg

Über Member
rich p said:
Obviously not every prog is a winner for me but there's plenty that are; I just hope they don't mess it up sometime.

Good one Rich, I have it on all day ( except the Money programmexx( ) Did anybody hear that new bloke on the Today prog. He came on "all Radio 1" on his first day, lots of enthusiasm and the wrong words accentuated... Mind you he is from Wales. They must have had a word with him cos he was "normal" by day 2.:biggrin:

jonesy

Guru
Smeggers said:
Excellent all of it.

Except for Melvyn Braggs thing, slightly too eclectic for me Im afraid.

I quite like that, you never know what to expect. The greek philosophers one week, anti-matter the next. Being a true philistine from the physical sciences, R4 is my only source of cultural education!

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
I love it...even Bragg (I agree it swings all over the place which makes it interesting), can't abide The Archers or the Plays either, but most is good and I've learnt shed-loads from listening. The Comedy is second to none.

Melvil

I like R4. It's great and makes the rest of the BBC look rather petty and dull by comparison.

OP
OP
rich p

rich p

ridiculous old lush
bobg said:
Good one Rich, I have it on all day ( except the Money programmexx( ) Did anybody hear that new bloke on the Today prog. He came on "all Radio 1" on his first day, lots of enthusiasm and the wrong words accentuated... Mind you he is from Wales. They must have had a word with him cos he was "normal" by day 2.:smile:

Evan Wotsit who was the economics chief on BBC1. I'm sure he'll get used to it; it'll be interesting to see if he becomes more confrontational with more confidence.

I agree about Melvyn Bragg - it's good when it's good and I like to be challenged every so often, otherwise it's easy to drift into complacency.

barq

I always start my day with the Today programme. Some of the documentaries and discussions are simply excellent. Most of the plays leave me cold, as does You and Yours - I'm not quite middle class enough. :smile:

I like Evan Davis. I can see why the intonation might irritate, but he has an ability to explain economics in a way which seems interesting to me so I think he's a good addition to R4 news.

yello

I bought a wi-fi radio pretty much solely so I could listen to R4. Personal faves are 'Start The Week' (Andrew Marr) and 'In Our Time' (the aforementioned M Bragg). I can't profess to always understanding what they are talking about but both are great radio, really get you thinking. I also love 'Womens Hour', regardless of subject matter, because of the non-confrontational, non-aggressive manner in which it is presented. A real change to most radio. Understandably, I have a low tolerance threshold for 'Today'!

Top Bottom