Radio 4

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
barq said:
I always start my day with the Today programme. Some of the documentaries and discussions are simply excellent. Most of the plays leave me cold, as does You and Yours - I'm not quite middle class enough. :smile:

I start my day with "Farming Today" - my new commute starts early :blush:

I prefer PM to Today, personally, although the former certainly has its moments. Recent highlights for me have been the Museum Of Curiosity, Tom Mangold's History of the FBI, a couple of the Saturday plays have been great, Saturday Live, Ed Reardon's Week...

And it's all on Listen Again if you forget anything. Great.

Yellow Fang

Legendary Member
Oh yes, Ed Reardon's Week is good. I am also a fan of R4. I can't stand The Archers though. I usually listen to the Today programme in the morning, although I'm not a fan of John Humphreys. R5 can be good when R4 is boring.

snorri

Legendary Member
Certainly some good stuff on there, it's just a pity it's they seem to view the world from south Britain and much of the time fail to embrace the whole country.:smile:

jonesy

Guru
snorri said:
Certainly some good stuff on there, it's just a pity it's they seem to view the world from south Britain and much of the time fail to embrace the whole country.:smile:

In what way do you feel the rest of the country is left out?

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
snorri said:
You say that like it's a bad thing?

Noodley

snorri said:

Maybe that is why is find it so dull, dull, dull...and dreary.

Renard

Renard said:
It could do with some bangin' tunes :blush:

and celebrity goss :smile::angry:

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
snorri said:

Snorri's right on this one, and there people on it who should know better...

bonj2

Like it, but don't find it quite as enjoyable as radio 2.
They seem to drone on and on about iraq slightly too much on radio 4.
I heard a bit of Evan Davis' first week and he was clearly not used to it, but he'll probably pick it up.

snorri

Legendary Member
Fab Foodie said:
You say that like it's a bad thing?

It is a bad thing.
R4 programmes which are clearly aimed at regional audiences should be broadcast on the regional networks and not broadcast nationwide as they frequently are at present.

Hairy Jock said:
:smile: what!! but In Our Time is one of the best bits...

"In Our Time" reminds me of four first year university students sitting around a table in a pub while loudly discussing philosophy to show everyone how clever they are.
I love R4, other than that. Oh, and "You and Yours", obviously. And I was baffled when they did the Don Camillo books (which are set in Italy) and had all the characters talk in Yorkshire accents. I mean ... "mamma mia, there eees a - trouble atta the a - meell" doesn't work at all, does it?:biggrin:

strofiwimple

Veteran
barq said:
I always start my day with the Today programme. Some of the documentaries and discussions are simply excellent. Most of the plays leave me cold,

would have to disagree about the plays-some may be tosh but most are excellent and grip me like no tv dramas can, spoonface steinberg from a few years ago was the most moving thing i have ever heard or watched, it was made into a tv play and was ok but not a patch on the radio version.
I can listen to sherlock holmes escapades many times but i get bored watching them.

yello

Isn't Evan Davis purported to have a stud in his.... it's something referred to as a lord/admiral nelson (???) or some such

"In Our Time" reminds me of four first year university students sitting around a table in a pub while loudly discussing philosophy to show everyone how clever they are.

The big difference being that they've been invited to do so! Personally, I don't think there's any showing off. Not in general, maybe the odd know-it-all. The cross curricular format works for me and, depending on the subject, I'm just about able to hang on to the discussion.

Top Bottom