Radio 4

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
rich p

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Apparently his nickname is Tinsel Tits due to his nipple rings! He is also one of the very few openly gay BBC presenters.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
yello said:
Isn't Evan Davis purported to have a stud in his.... it's something referred to as a lord/admiral nelson (???) or some such

It's called a Prince Albert (more NOT WORK SAFE detail here). As for whether the diminutive economist has one, I confess to not knowing.

Arch

Married to Night Train
I love R4 too. I used to have it on all day when I was working on my laptop, but these computers I'm using at the moment won't play internet radio, annoyingly.

I don't think it has a SouthEast bias, well, not that I've noticed (and I'm not in the SouthEast, so it's not that I simply wouldn't notice). Ok, the news covers the same stuff as the TV news, and there is always going to be a bit of London bias, but they also have the time to look at other stuff too...

I like Word of Mouth, Thinking Aloud, Material World, that sort of stuff. Plays - well, like any drama, some you're going to find more interesting than others. The comedy is almost always brillant - often laugh out loud, even when I'm on my own. And I am a bit of an Archers addict, well, I have to be really, they're like family to me...

You and Yours, well, there's a reason I always went for lunch at 12. Although I was on it once...

But possibly the best thing I've ever heard was the recent Go For It, on bereavement. One of the most heartrending, sensitive, thoughtful pieces of radio ever. Partly down to Micheal Rosen and partly because Barney Harwood handled it all so well, but mostly due to the kids in the studio, all of whom had lost a parent or sibling. Stunning. Sat and listened in tears, but strangely uplifted too. I don't usually leave Go For It on, but I'm very glad I did that day - I happened to be in the middle of cooking. I gather they received a deluge of praise, and they deserve an award for it.

Arch

Married to Night Train
red_tom said:
Noooo, I was hoping they'd cancel Go For It. No chance now. :smile:

Well, to be fair, it's less than one hour a week. And although it's not to all our tastes (being aimed at children...) it is actually well made and quite positive - lots of stuff about books and so on. Better than a fair bit of children's TV I think.

And I only realised a couple of months ago when I saw him on telly, but Barney is quite cute....:biggrin:

Arch

Married to Night Train
John the Monkey said:
Prank Patrol or Bear Behaving Badly...?

:angry: Bear Behaving Badly. My sister and I maintain we were watching it with Oli. Although Oli was asleep.

And the other day, I came across the last in the series of Basil's Swap Shop (with Barney and Basil Brush) and ended up watching the whole thing...:biggrin:

yello

Prince Albert, yes... I remembered on my way down the street this morning. I'm always intrigued as to why & how names get muddled up in the brain like this.

Renard

Radio 4 news coverage seems good. Its what wakes me up on the clock radio in the morning. SWMBO listens to it so I hear it sometimes by default when I switch on the car and instead of my music I get R4 (should this have been in the things your OH does that annoy you thread?). On occasions there is something interesting on and I end up listening to it a while, so if I had to choose one radio station to listen to all day long it, or Radio Scotland would get the nod.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
Arch said:
:blush: Bear Behaving Badly.
Good, innit :ohmy:
And the other day, I came across the last in the series of Basil's Swap Shop (with Barney and Basil Brush) and ended up watching the whole thing...:wacko:

Basil's new show[1] is 20 minutes divertingly spent, I find, when I catch it with the kids. I prefer Mr Stephen to Mr Liam though.

(Don't know what I'll do when they're too old for CBBC...)

[1] As opposed to the "old" show, which formed the heart of Saturday evening along with Baker era Dr. Who, and Jim'll Fix It.

Arch

Married to Night Train
John the Monkey said:
Good, innit :wacko:

We thought it was rather, yes!

Basil's new show[1] is 20 minutes divertingly spent, I find, when I catch it with the kids. I prefer Mr Stephen to Mr Liam though.

(Don't know what I'll do when they're too old for CBBC...)

Get them to start working on grandchildren? Or.. just watch it anyway!:blush:

[1] As opposed to the "old" show, which formed the heart of Saturday evening along with Baker era Dr. Who, and Jim'll Fix It.

Boom boom!

Aint Skeered

I listen to radio 4 now for two reasons:
1) As I'm a bit mutton, its easy to understand what they are saying.
2) The radio in the van is totally w*nked, and that's the only station I can get.

I, love the radio plays, and yesterday in parliment.

Top Bottom