Rail Trail bike build

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Drzdave58

Über Member
I recently acquired an Amp Research F1 fork that I wanted to use on my trail bike. Unfortunately the steering tube was an inch too short so I looked around for another suitable frame. I found this older GT frame from the 90s which I thought was pretty cool and the head tube fit the fork. I've been riding it for a couple of days now and am pleased with the performance o

20230903_102339.jpg
f the fork and how the bike rides overall. In the near future I will disassemble, paint the frame and tidy up everything else.
20230903_105007.jpg

20230903_102350.jpg

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Interesting, what is the fork supposed to do?
Did the research ever go anywhere? I guess not.
That seat post looks an awful long way out of the seat tube.

OP
OP
Drzdave58

Drzdave58

Über Member
Interesting, what is the fork supposed to do?
Did the research ever go anywhere? I guess not.
That seat post looks an awful long way out of the seat tube.

Its a suspension fork from the 90s that a company called amp research put on some mountain bikes mainly Mercedes benz bikes I think. Its a linkage design and works fine for the moderate terrain im riding on. They only made them for a few years I think but I believe the company still exists.The seatpost is high because its only a 19 inch frame. I like that the top frame tube extends past the seat tube for extra support so it should be fine and it is chromoly steel.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Drzdave58

Drzdave58

Über Member
I'd stick with an oily rag restoration and keep the paint/decals as they are. Lose them and you lose some of the character/history of the bikes roots.

Thats something to consider . I haven't decided for sure if I will paint it or not. The decals are in good shape. The frame paint is probably 80% good, with usual signs of wear. Its at that point that I could go either way.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Currently got 4 x GT triple triangle MTBs in the house ranging from 1996-2016, a 2011 GT roadbike (for sale) and a GT Grade road/gravel bike. Also had a GT Traffic rigid hybrid for a long time as my commute bike until the frame cracked. As a brand I think GT were the sweet spot for a long time, but not excited about any of their current offerings..... :sad:

OP
OP
Drzdave58

Drzdave58

Über Member
I'm guessing you're in the States @Drzdave58 Would that be considered a cruiser type bike?

I'm in Canada..they were probably just offered in North America.
I think it was sold as a hybrid bike. I couldn’t find much info on it online. I’m on the lookout for another one.

Attachments

• IMG_3654.jpeg
    IMG_3654.jpeg
    157.4 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:

Gunk

Guru
I personally really like the patina, it’s only original once.

Here is a Claud Butler I rescued and restored a few years ago, after cleaning the frame I just clear coated it with satin lacquer to preserve the originality. Not everyones cup of Earl Grey, but that’s my preference, I’ve restored over 20 bikes now and I’ve never repainted a frame.

IMG_1061.jpeg

Top Bottom