Rain- chain lube issues

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
I've had it with Finish Line/Joe's and other fancy chain lubes for wet weather.

When it's raining I am going to stick with mineral oil as it is the only thing I have found stops my chain going rusty after even just one ride in the wet.

I have not got time to mickle it after every ride. Bah !

SS Retro

or get a stainless chain. ;)

Psycolist

NINJA BYKALIST
Although i've never used either of the products you mention, I had the same experience using stuff like TF2 and dry loobs, so what I do now is about every 500 miles, give the chain a good soak in WD40, leave it to soak for an hour, then towel it as dry as poss, and then give it a coat of dry loob. seems to work f'me.

Brandane

Legendary Member
acf-50anti-corrosionformulalubricantwhitebkgrd-399-75.jpg

If it's good enough for the aerospace industry, and good enough for my motorbike chain; then it's good enough for bicycle chains. Not cheap, but not nearly as expensive as the poncey ineffective products being sold as bicycle chain lube.

OP
OP
Arjimlad

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
I am just a bit hacked off at the lack of rust inhibition in bike-chain specific stuff. It's fine for dry riding but one wet ride and my chain's rusty 24 hours on. I do try to keep my chain & cassette in good order but modern bikes seem to require a lot more TLC than those of my youth. That makes me sound ancient but I am 40.

Globalti

Legendary Member
The rust is caused by the fact that the roads are covered in salt. All you need to do is run the chain through an old towel after washing your bike then re-lube it lightly, what's so hard about that?

Crankarm

Guru
I'm sick of cleaning and re-lubing. Period. Max period between cleans and re-lubes seems to be 3 weeks, 1 week if a particularly wet week. I hate it. Hate it so much I am going to get in IHG with belt drive or a Pashley or an old retro sit up and beg Raleigh with full chain guard totally enclosing the chain. Bicycles seem to have gone in reverse wrt to keeping the transmission clean. Open deraillieur transmissions are really only best suited to dry weather riding and then with little dust, grit or mud.

MrJamie

Oaf on a Bike
I'm using one of the 'higher spec' KMC chains, the previous one was their cheapest and it does seem to be standing up really well to a lack of care :whistle:

Top Bottom