Rain- chain lube issues

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Brandane

Legendary Member
Oh ...oh ....

:boxing:

Seriously though Brandane where can this elixir be purchased?

I buy mine at my LBS (that's bike as in MOTORbike :smile:), but your best bet is probably to buy it on-line as it is usually a good bit cheaper. Nippy Normans are good. £16.50 for a 370 gm spray can, but a little goes a long way and should last you a very long time.

Twilkes

Guru
I've been using Finish Line Dry, and while it works really well and a little goes a long way, one rain shower and I'm back to squeaksville. Don't think the problem is dirt and muck, but dryness of the chain.

If I switch to Finish Line Wet will it mean I can go a few rain storms without having to relube again? Or will I just end up with more gunk stuck to the chain, as it seems a lot more gloopy than the Dry stuff.

Incidentally, is anyone else in love with the smell of Finish Line Wet? Anyone tasted it?

Canrider

Guru
I must say I've never had rusty chain problems that didn't involve a damp shed and several years 'storage'..

I find (echoing Twilkes) that a wet lube does better in the, er, wet, and a dry lube does better in the dry. So wet lube in wintertime, and then clean and switch to something drier once you aren't getting rained on daily. The wet lubes are gloopier and pick up more grit, but seem to last through the rain better.

Mo1959

Legendary Member
Must admit, I get a bit fed up of the black gunk that builds up with wet lube. Seems to attract any dirt that's going. I've just had a nice new shiny chain fitted and have purchased some Squirt dry lube which gets good reviews so going to try it over the "summer".

I am a Luddite, but do not suffer rusty chains.

1. I find that chains rust when LEFT out in the rain, not when riding in it.

2. I always buy the cheapest lube in the shop (or on the Website). I always have and it has always worked. Aerosol, squeezy bottle or whatever... I cannot fascinate about Super-Turbo-Lubo-Whizz or any other product du jour. They is all slimy and they all works.

3. I am a wiper-luber, using a method similar to the much-vaunted Mickle. I probably wipe more than I need to.

4. No after-ride cleaning of a road bike after a wet ride takes more than 3 minutes for me... Usually rather less.

5. My bicycle deserves a little cuddle every now and then, but it is there for me. I am not there for it.

6. After many decades on-road and off-road, my Luddite ways are doing OK for me. Each to their own. :rolleyes:

VamP

Banned
Must admit, I get a bit fed up of the black gunk that builds up with wet lube. Seems to attract any dirt that's going. I've just had a nice new shiny chain fitted and have purchased some Squirt dry lube which gets good reviews so going to try it over the "summer".

Just wipe the excess off regularly. Takes a couple of seconds...

Leaway2

Lycrist
I buy KMZ51, the cheapest I can find. I use the bike every working day, and my chain never rusts. I change it twice a year and the cassette once. I do have one of those chain gauges but never use it.
I have just been outside and Mickled with Finish line wet.

wisdom

Guru
I mickle with fenwicks wet lube and find it very good,i mickle weekly without fail though.
I'm trying fenwicks stealth on the road bike in the dry that too is working well,expensive though but a little goes a long way.

Top Bottom