Rain- chain lube issues

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Glow worm

Legendary Member
Finish Line 1 Step works a treat for me. just a quick light lube, wipe with a rag, lube again and it's as good as new. (Bit pricey though).

Crankarm

Guru
All wax lubes, which seems to be all bike lubes these days, are crap including Finish Line which I used to use and like! But no longer as I have now found the perfect proper oil lube. It was put on 6 weeks ago and is still on after riding 35 miles a day 6 days a week to and from work through some pretty sh1t wet weather. The chain still runs as smoothly as the first morning I rode with it on. With previous bike specific wax based lubes after couple of very wet days the lube was all gone and the transmission sounded like a sewing machine / cement mixer. No more. Just peace and quiet now and smooth shifting. I might clean my bike today as it is filthy and I do like a clean bike including transmission although it is running fine. No oil spray on the rear rim either as the new lube sticks to the chain like sh1t to a blanket. It doesn't seem to collect crud like the over priced wax based bike lubes which I shall never ever be returning to. The new lube is chainsaw oil - £4.99 for one whole litre, yes one whole litre; not £9.99 for a bottle the size of a nail varnish pot.

kedab

Veteran
I'm sick of cleaning and re-lubing. Period. Max period between cleans and re-lubes seems to be 3 weeks, 1 week if a particularly wet week. I hate it. Hate it so much I am going to get in IHG with belt drive or a Pashley or an old retro sit up and beg Raleigh with full chain guard totally enclosing the chain. Bicycles seem to have gone in reverse wrt to keeping the transmission clean. Open deraillieur transmissions are really only best suited to dry weather riding and then with little dust, grit or mud.
:surrender:

Top Bottom