rain jacket

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

oxford_guy

Über Member
I recently got an Endura Venturi eVENT waterproof cycling jacket, which I find great - seems to be as breathable as claimed, but keeps rain out. Also has useful pockets and fits well (I tried a Montane Stormrider, but the arms were massively too long, so returned it). It doesn't have a hood, if that's an issue, though.

johnb5271

I have the Montane Stormrider jacket and can recommend it, and as Mickle and oxford guy say the Endura Venturi is also a smashing jacket, I have used my mates, there is not much too choose between the two jackets except the fit. The arms and torso length is longer on the montane, so try before you buy if possible.

Mycroft

Any advice on a good pair of breathable waterproof legs?

I always seem to end up with wet legs, even before the w/p coating rubbed off at the fork of my cheep Tescos ones.. been wary of spending money on anything else in case they are just as useless.

When the rain starts here it tends to remain for days, in one form or another, would the poncho REALLY be the way to go? how protective is of the legs/feet? don't want to HAVE to buy/carry overshoes.

Mycroft

HLaB said:
IME breatheable and waterproof don't go together, I look forward to be being proved wrong however.

true!

but as I'm fairly new to this I thought it wouldn't do any harm to ask about the potential for some wonder garment that may or may not exist.

actually gave in and bought myself a cycle poncho yesterday, so will likely be a brilliant summer.. that way I can grumble about the cost! and not getting to use it :evil:

I guess thats sods law waterproofing.

CopperBrompton

Bicycle: a means of transport between cake-stops
eVent proves you wrong :-)

I have the Montane eVent jacket and trousers, and both are (when you do them up properly<ahem>) 100% waterproof, and no sweat inside either. Highly recommended.

oxford_guy

Über Member
oxford_guy said:
I recently got an Endura Venturi eVENT waterproof cycling jacket, which I find great - seems to be as breathable as claimed, but keeps rain out. Also has useful pockets and fits well (I tried a Montane Stormrider, but the arms were massively too long, so returned it). It doesn't have a hood, if that's an issue, though.

This is what I got in the end too, I think it was well worth the money, its a great jacket and has nice features like an iPod headphone port and back vents. It also fits me much better than the equivalent Montane jacket, which had sleeves that were way too long. I think the Montane would pack down smaller, though - its thinner (though possibly less durable) and has no side pockets

oxford_guy

Über Member
Mycroft said:
Any advice on a good pair of breathable waterproof legs?

I always seem to end up with wet legs, even before the w/p coating rubbed off at the fork of my cheep Tescos ones.. been wary of spending money on anything else in case they are just as useless.

When the rain starts here it tends to remain for days, in one form or another, would the poncho REALLY be the way to go? how protective is of the legs/feet? don't want to HAVE to buy/carry overshoes.

I bought a pair of Montane Atomic DT pants http://www.winwood-outdoor.co.uk/acatalog/Montane_Atomic_Pants.html

They pack down really small (and come with a stuff sac), they're breathable, though not as good as eVent, but are much cheaper (I paid about £55 for mine)

rich p

ridiculous old lush
What's the point of waterproof leggings? If it's cold wear lycra leggings and if not then it's a lot easier to dry skin than fabric.

yello

Ben Lovejoy said:
eVent proves you wrong :-)

I have the Montane eVent jacket and trousers, and both are (when you do them up properly<ahem>) 100% waterproof, and no sweat inside either. Highly recommended.

That's excellent to hear. I've been itching (well, not literally!) to try out eVent... but I've just been uncertain as to whether it's all it's cracked up to be. Now I just need to convince both myself and my misses that I need yet another cycling jacket! To be honest, I do have too many as I've tried out different ones over the years.

Top Bottom