rain jacket

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

paulrw

I need to buy a decent rain jacket for my forthcoming tour from Rotterdam to Vienna. I'm looking at about £150 but I haven't a clue of what is rated. Also do the ones you buy online replace items if theyre the wrong size ? Grateful for any advice.

Andy in Sig

Vice President in Exile
Take a look at the Men's Cloudbase jacket from Rohan www.Rohan.co.uk It costs around 112 quid. The best thing is that like all Rohan gear it's wearable in non-sporty contexts and lasts donkey's years. Dunno what their replacement policy is but I do know that as a 6 ft, normally built bloke, size L is always a perfect fit for me.

They also do matching overtrousers to go with it.

andym

Über Member
paulrw said:
Also do the ones you buy online replace items if theyre the wrong size?

Yes. Apart from anything else there's something called the Distance Selling Regulations.

I have two - a relatively cheap Gill (£75) and an expensive gore bike (£200) the cheaper one has done the job well, the expensive one is marginally better -the Gill tends to retain a little moisture in the fabric and dry slower - both jackets have worn well and will last for years to come - I can recommend both brands

For cycling a few cycling specific features like drop tails and pit zips can make life more pleasant in heavy persistant rain - My defunct Gore had poppers so that I could wear iot like a cape - useful in very warm conditions with torrential rain - I dislike cycling in a hood but the one on the Gore jacket was invaluable last year in scandinavia

i've always found rainproofs too warm until i came across this montane http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=34916

it kept me dry for over four hours on a recent wet ride, and packs away to the size of an orange,it's the only waterproof that i've never been too hot in.
it's not much to look at and i thought it was wasted money until i wore it.very very little condensation down the inside of the arms as well.

quite a bit under your price though:smile:

andym

Über Member
psmiffy's post made me think it might be worth posting a link about Vaude's cycling cape/poncho:

06809_003_2.jpg

http://www.ubergear.co.uk/Vaude-Covero-Poncho-II.html

Not necessarily what you'd want if it's just windy and damp, but definitely worth considering for chuck-it-down rain and times when the rain just keeps on. Obviously a lot more breathable than a jacket.

jags

Guru
heard great things about montane .

jags

Guru
andym that cape look's good ,have you worn it cycling.i would imagine it would fly all over the place ,what are they like for cycling,also what about weight and how small can you pack them.

I had a cape when I was a kid - it was like riding in a combination of a out of control kite and and small greenhouse - stationary it was great but moving Iwas never sure what it was going to do next - Nonetheless, I understand that Josie Dew recommmends them for the lady cyclist

andym

Über Member
jags said:
andym that cape look's good ,have you worn it cycling.i would imagine it would fly all over the place ,what are they like for cycling,also what about weight and how small can you pack them.

I haven't worn that one. I have a hikers' poncho (which has the disadvantage or no thumb loops). The major disadvantage I've found with it is that in heavy rain the water collects in the triangle between the arms and the handlebar so you have to stop every so often and empty is out. Lots of flapping behind me but I ignored that. I think it is worth considering as an extra layer of protection for heavy rain.

pmiffy - yes I remember the old capes as well.

Top Bottom