Raising the saddle

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

amelia-jane

I'm in my 40s and have been cycling for nearly 30 years - short commute to work, shopping, the odd holiday and generally getting about.

However, i've always had the saddle too low - i can reach the floor with the balls of both feet whilst remaining in the saddle.

I would love to be able to raise the saddle to a more effective height, especially as my commute to work is about to go from 1.5 miles to 5+ miles, but whenever i try i can start the bike ok but when it comes to stopping i seriously panic and practically fall as i'm so used to staying in the saddle and 'catching' the bike with both feet as it stops.

Any tips for helping to raise the saddle safely after 30 years of practising bad habits?

numbnuts

Legendary Member
I can't touch the ground with my toe at all, when stopping I have to get out of the saddle to do that, but I like it that way, I can just about touch the pedel with my heel when seated.

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
as various aboves. Just make ready a moment or two in advance, decide which leg is going to go down first and just lean ever so slightly to that side as you draw to a stop & let gravity do the job.

Brommyboy

Über Member
When stopping at lights I usually put my right foot down as the road camber is usually higher in the middle. Only one toe can touch at a time but the pedalling is much more efficient!

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
I'm in my 40s and have been cycling for nearly 30 years - short commute to work, shopping, the odd holiday and generally getting about.

However, i've always had the saddle too low - i can reach the floor with the balls of both feet whilst remaining in the saddle.

I would love to be able to raise the saddle to a more effective height, especially as my commute to work is about to go from 1.5 miles to 5+ miles, but whenever i try i can start the bike ok but when it comes to stopping i seriously panic and practically fall as i'm so used to staying in the saddle and 'catching' the bike with both feet as it stops.

Any tips for helping to raise the saddle safely after 30 years of practising bad habits?

Hi Amelia-Jane!
Following tips from folks on here I have raised my saddle and adopted a sort of jumping off the bike method of stopping.
Takes a bit of practice, at first I felt a bit unbalanced, like you, then I developed a sore stopping leg because I was jumping a bit too hard on the tarmac :rolleyes:
With practice, you should be able to sort of slide off the saddle, stopping foot down first.
I can't touch the ground with my feet at all while on the saddle, this position is more comfortable for me now than when I had the saddle at a lower height.

paul04

Über Member
Have to agree with the comments on this post, I can't touch the floor with my foot while sat in the saddle.

annedonnelly

Girl from the North Country
I don't do the jumping off the saddle thing - tho' I've seen lots of people do that. I tilt the bike slightly sideways so that my "down" foot is slightly nearer the ground.

If you're raising your saddle I'd suggest doing it a tiny bit at a time - get used to that height - and then raise it a bit more.

Eribiste

Careful with that axle Eugene
I don't do the jumping off the saddle thing - tho' I've seen lots of people do that. I tilt the bike slightly sideways so that my "down" foot is slightly nearer the ground.

If you're raising your saddle I'd suggest doing it a tiny bit at a time - get used to that height - and then raise it a bit more.
This is just the advice I'd proffer. With my Pashley Roadster (actually somebody else's now, having sold it), Being such a high bike I had to quickly get used to sliding forward off the saddle as I come to a halt, and as I stop, put the left foot down on the tarmac, keeping right foot on the pedal, ready to take off again. It's a damn sight easier to do than to explain and it lives better than it reads!
I might also suggest doing what I did, which was practice in an empty car park. Have you got a chum who can watch you and help with advice?

lulubel

Über Member

I do the jumping off the saddle thing if I have to stop suddenly and unexpectedly and my feet are in an awkward position. It's a sort of bounce forward and land with both feet at the same time.

Otherwise, I just transfer all my weight onto the pedal that's in the down position, and step down onto my other foot as the bike comes to a stop. It's much more controlled and graceful than jumping.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
My advice?
Raise the saddle a little bit at a time so you do not alter your seat height to radically and affect your pedaling untill you reach your optimum height.
Your body will get used to the new height in the legs and the jumping off bit by bit.

Top Bottom