Raleigh Chiltern Ladies Bike - any good (see photos).

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rimmer

I have recently acquired this Raleigh Chiltern ladies bike - I paid £40 for it (probably the going rate as it's not a collectible I would imagine like a Holdsworth) - an impulse buy because it's in such good condition for the year - not mint, but good nonetheless ....

Can I have your assessment (I am a novice). I guess it would be interesting to know the value too (did I get a good deal?). Also looking at the valve type from the inner tube shown in the photo, my floor standing bike pump does not fit on it - can I find an adapter so it will work?

51524743268_b08767e792_c.jpg

51524513961_a7523cf6c8_c.jpg

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Nice buy for forty notes. Looks to be in very good condition. Late eighties. Seems almost unused. Great for use around town. Don’t worry about what people think, go ahead and use it. I should think you’d be able to sell it for at least twice as much.
Dont expect it to stop in the rain with what look like steel rims. That valve is a Woods type, you should be able to use a presta fitting to pump it, that’s what I use.

Last edited:

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Dont expect it to stop in the rain with what look like steel rims. That valve is a Woods type, you should be able to use a presta fitting to pump it, that’s what I use.
Fit Fibrax pads to it and it should stop in the rain, but it will never be quite as good as aluminium rims or a hub brake.

Yes, it's a Woods aka Dunlop valve. Most Presta (road bike) attachments will fit them, but a few don't. They are brilliant valves when they work because there's no nut to bend or spring that can loosen and air can only go in but some old ones had rubber tubing over the internal end of the valve which cracks with age and may need replacement if that's what you've got. Unscrewing the collar will loosen the valve core, deflate the tyre and allow valve removal for inspection. Some puncture kits still contain short bits of rubber tube for this reason. Modern ones use a ball bearing.

Chris S

Legendary Member
£40 isn't a bad price for a women's 3-speed in that condition. The equivalent men's models tend to go for more as there aren't as many of them.

Incidentally, my Aldi footpump has a hole for Presta valves. A Woods/Dunlop valve will fit straight into it.

Oldhippy

Cynical idealist
I do have fond memories of the Dunlop valves. I remember marvelling at the complicated engineering (I was a kid) and wondered how they made the metal screw caps so tiny. Happy days.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Nice :becool:

Looks beautiful to me rinmmer - from the pics looks like one of those "old used" bikes that has been sat in a good garage since bought. A good buy I'd say.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
That Chiltern must be the last model Raleigh made with cottered cranks, unless anyone knows different?
Interesting to note the end of the mudguard has been painted white like they were in WW2. Is it reflective?

OP
OP
R

Rimmer

That Chiltern must be the last model Raleigh made with cottered cranks, unless anyone knows different?
Interesting to note the end of the mudguard has been painted white like they were in WW2. Is it reflective?

I will wait until dark to find out tonight. Was this common on all ladies Chilterns?

Top Bottom