Raleigh chopper wanted

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

NeilnrLincoln

Reliving my youth, I'm looking for a Raleigh Chopper to buy. Any condition considered, even incomplete. I don't have a fortune to spend.
Does anyone have anything they want to part with?
Thanks.
Neil.

Shearwater Missile

Über Member
Reliving my youth, I'm looking for a Raleigh Chopper to buy. Any condition considered, even incomplete. I don't have a fortune to spend.
Thanks.
Neil.
You must have watched "The repair shop" over Christmas ! Hope you find one.

Nibor

Bewildered
Go on the Book of face and find Gaz's Grifter, Chopper and Old Skool/ Vintage bike forum plenty to be had on there and sensible advise you might be best to aim for a mk3 if you don't have much budget and are doing it on a whim.

This is just like the one I used to have:
1579617428607.png
A MKI, terracotta colour - proudest kid in the neighbourhood I was. Very uncomfortable to ride (and painful sometimes, when you get a false neutral), but who cares when you're ten years old.
They seem to sell for ridiculous sums, even knackered piles of rust, so nostalgia don't come cheap.
Thankfully there's the Raleigh Twenty and it's variants to fulfill the vintage seeker urges - can get them for next to nothing, and with a bit of modernising they are a great and comfy bike, guaranteed to put a smile on your face. Watch out for genuine 'Chopper' parts at eye watering prices, they may well have come from R20's ................

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
I've got a Raleigh shopper kicking about the place somewhere.

My son was going to have it as his deeply ironic hipster-about-town-bike.

Seems to have lost interest tho, and gone back to his fixie :rolleyes:

Kids eh??

Levo-Lon

Guru
I've got a Raleigh shopper kicking about the place somewhere.

My son was going to have it as his deeply ironic hipster-about-town-bike.

Seems to have lost interest tho, and gone back to his fixie :rolleyes:

Kids eh??

They were a hell of a lot better to ride than a chopper, did miles on one
My beloved Chopper was the best present ever from my childhood but it was responsible for untold injuries.. :laugh: sat here typing i can see the scar on my little finger, it goes nearly all the way round.. Too many more to list:smile:

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
They were a hell of a lot better to ride than a chopper, did miles on one
My beloved Chopper was the best present ever from my childhood but it was responsible for untold injuries.. :laugh: sat here typing i can see the scar on my little finger, it goes nearly all the way round.. Too many more to list:smile:

My first bike, aged about 11, was something like that too.

Of course I'd been riding bikes loads, for years, previously to that.

But one parent deemed cycling as 'too dangerous' an activity for me to undertake

So then of course, i then vetted my friends suitibility as mates, mainly on the basis of 'did they have a bike I could ride? '

Reverse psychology triumphed to make a life-time cyclist of me.. .

Last edited:

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
Thanks.
Neil.
My brother has one he might sell, I haven’t seen it I know he’s got one he doesn’t use. I’ll ask.

Levo-Lon

Guru
My first bike, aged about 11, was something like that too.

Of course I'd been riding bikes loads, for years, previously to that.

But one parent deemed cycling as 'too dangerous' an activity for me to undertake

So then of course, i then vetted my friends suitibility as mates, mainly on the basis of 'did they have a bike I could ride? '

Reverse psychology triumphed to make a life-time cyclist of me.. .

Now i like that thinking:okay:
I told my mother lies or nothing ;)

I wasn't the first kid in our road to have a Chopper - he lived two doors down. I used to make every excuse to visit him for a go on his gleaming Yellow Chopper, or even to just be in its presence and drool was enough. Anyways, my dad saw how much I wanted one so we popped into town and picked one up, paid in monthly installments as money was tight back then. It was treated like a treasured possesion at the start, but then ramps were set up on the path to leap off (no BMX's back then), and the bike was pretty much tested to destruction. A cracked frame had to be re-welded with gussets added, and on it went into battle. Three younger brothers took their turn after that. I expect the remaining wreckage even now would fetch silly money, but alas it finally went to Chopper heaven..........via the tip :sad:

southcoast

Über Member
I wasn't the first kid in our road to have a Chopper - he lived two doors down. I used to make every excuse to visit him for a go on his gleaming Yellow Chopper, or even to just be in its presence and drool was enough. Anyways, my dad saw how much I wanted one so we popped into town and picked one up, paid in monthly installments as money was tight back then. It was treated like a treasured possesion at the start, but then ramps were set up on the path to leap off (no BMX's back then), and the bike was pretty much tested to destruction. A cracked frame had to be re-welded with gussets added, and on it went into battle. Three younger brothers took their turn after that. I expect the remaining wreckage even now would fetch silly money, but alas it finally went to Chopper heaven..........via the tip :sad:

I owned a Mk 1 high back mustard coloured Raleigh Chopper. Must have been about the same age as your bike. The frame broke at the rear, below where the springs were mounted. We took it back to our local Raleigh dealer and they sent it off to the manufacturer, who exchanged it for a new frame.

Top Bottom