Raleigh Magnum

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

roadbiker

Well it is gas piping.

It's a mass produced hi-tensile frame made by the thousand on the assembly line then fitted with the cheapest parts Raleigh could get away with.

I don't butcher classic rides to make fixed gears thank you very much - but then I don't have any illusions about the worth what were the bike shaped objects of their day either. The comparison with the chopper doesn't wash either, the chopper was a kids bike with an unusual branding and style that reminds people of a certain time in there life, thats why they are collectable.

It wasn't anything collectable or of value when new and it certainly does not have any of the so called heritage value that you seem to think it has now either.

the raleigh magnum is not gas piping and the fork does not snap at all, they are worth restoring because iv had mine for 1 year now and hav'nt had any problems apart from punches.

Spokesmann

Keeping the Carlton and Sun names alive...
the raleigh magnum is not gas piping and the fork does not snap at all, they are worth restoring because iv had mine for 1 year now and hav'nt had any problems apart from punches.

Punctures?
laugh.gif

roadbiker

Punctures?
laugh.gif

its a great bike and would never get rid of it, the person who says its gas piping is a wan**r and probably doesn't know what he's talking about lol
and he says it has'nt got any value, well he's wrong again because i looked on ebay at a raleigh magnum and that was £50 in a baddish condition, but mine maybe worth £130 with all the new parts iv put on.
so the bike does have value

roadbiker

2011-04-08 18.38.40.jpg 2011-04-08 18.38.09.jpg 2011-04-08 18.37.59.jpg
Well, Zoiders, if you think someone's being abusive you could report it to the Mods. That's what they're there for.

Back OT - I think it's a nice enough bike. I'd have no qualms about riding it.

i have one and its a nice ride spent alot of money but well worth because i kept the original parts ect so the money i spent wouldent be a waste and yes i would never get rid of mine, great calssic, good looking bike :-)
2011-04-08 18.37.54.jpg and also i did'nt mind spending that money on new tyres iner tubes handle bars ect, because i got the bike for free, some one at my school does bike maintenance with me and i do up bikes, so i ask can i have this bike and john said yes.
the bike was in bad condition, no drop down handles and the wrong brakes on the bike and more. so i restored it and a couple of weeks later i was having problems with the tryes and inertubes so i got some new ones and now no more problems.

roadbiker

bloody motorist's, they dont us bikers any respect on the road, today 4 people beeped at me on the way brandon, but i do give credit to those who respect us bikers on the road and dont over take too close, because that for 1 is daqngerouse and 2 stupid when they had loads of road and no oncoming traffic. i just wish those cars respected us alot more

racingline

:rolleyes: Dispite selling my black Peugeot tourer & telling myself I have more bikes than I can ride this one turned up very cheap Its a Raleigh Magnum 10 speed size 23inch frame Mmmmmmm just what I,m after so I bought it sharpish some tlc required but its all there with very little if any use over the years :biggrin:
How did you get on with it? I'm a relative newbie to bike restoring but have just bought one of these in not dissimilar condition, ridable but in need of some TLC, after reading the above I am a bit worried I'm buying a bike that will fall apart on me :/
I'm also restoring/modernising a 1974 Raleigh sports/traveller (not sure exactly which it is. I've resprayed it as the paint was battered, the rest was alright though, still got original whitewalls! That needs new innertubes cables etc, I've put a white saddle and white grips on it too , with white cable housing its a black and white ride of classic/modern unity.
Also got a Carrera Subway 8 I am fixing up as I am now a hub gear convert ^_^

Top Bottom