Raleigh Magnum

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
If you are going to try and be smug or sarcastic at least A - make sure it actualy makes sense, B - don't lecture people on the merits of a bike you know naff all about

Unless you want to use angry capitals again to show off your middle aged daily mail reading outrage at having to live in the modern world, that is always funny.
Zolders do me a favour grow up you have made your point thats it take your arguments elsewhere You don,t like the bike & thats fair enough. Right a few more pictures before I start its restoration :biggrin:

Attachments

• 446891970_o.jpg
    446891970_o.jpg
    184.3 KB · Views: 96
  • 446892182_o.jpg
    446892182_o.jpg
    256.5 KB · Views: 99
  • 446891403_o.jpg
    446891403_o.jpg
    155.3 KB · Views: 91

3narf

For whom the bell dings
It looks to be in good nick; should be an easy job...

Zoiders

It's not that I don't like the bike, it's usable enough and looks the part and they are a good bike to learn how to tinker with, just don't go spending lot's of cash on it is all.

What I don't like is someone leading you up the garden path claiming you have some historical and moral duty to preserve a mass produced bike as it was to the letter of the brochure, bikes like that were meant to be used and abused and they still are, change what you like to make it usable and don't get all misty eyed about it.

I ride a steel fixed gear, it was built to be used as one, it has track ends and a hanger for gears giving you a choice, it's 531, it's lugged, I use original period kit on it as far as possible. The chap who hand built it is in his 80's and used to build for Henry Burton of Stafford, he still rides and you know what his current bike is? It's a carbon one, he uses his old steel frame as a hack bike. Time moves on, save what needs saving but don't get all preachy about kit that simply has no significance. Sorry if the thread wandered but the downright nasty and dismissive tone of the other contributor had to be challenged.

Spokesmann

Keeping the Carlton and Sun names alive...
It's not that I don't like the bike, it's usable enough and looks the part and they are a good bike to learn how to tinker with, just don't go spending lot's of cash on it is all.

What I don't like is someone leading you up the garden path claiming you have some historical and moral duty to preserve a mass produced bike as it was to the letter of the brochure, bikes like that were meant to be used and abused and they still are, change what you like to make it usable and don't get all misty eyed about it.

I ride a steel fixed gear, it was built to be used as one, it has track ends and a hanger for gears giving you a choice, it's 531, it's lugged, I use original period kit on it as far as possible. The chap who hand built it is in his 80's and used to build for Henry Burton of Stafford, he still rides and you know what his current bike is? It's a carbon one, he uses his old steel frame as a hack bike. Time moves on, save what needs saving but don't get all preachy about kit that simply has no significance. Sorry if the thread wandered but the downright nasty and dismissive tone of the other contributor had to be challenged.

Chill out.

Sometime its best to keep your mouth shut so people only suspect you maybe a fool, rather than open it and remove all doubt.
laugh.gif

PS I dont read the Mail.

Spokesmann

Keeping the Carlton and Sun names alive...
Zolders do me a favour grow up you have made your point thats it take your arguments elsewhere You don,t like the bike & thats fair enough. Right a few more pictures before I start its restoration :biggrin:

That should clean up rather nicely. Loving those old ESGE (think thats right!) shorties!

Fair enough but I,m not new to bike restoration having owned/sold lots of racers mainly Carltons living in Worksop "home of Carlton Cycles/Sun they were the bikes We all grew up with & now seek out to restore I just liked this Raleigh Magnum its been stored for years & never used much so most of it will just need some TLC throwing at it rather than loads of cash being an engineer always helps labour wise.I never said or thought it was anything special just another low mileage racer to add to my collection of bicycles nothing more nothing less regards Carlton Flier

Zoiders

Chill out.

Sometime its best to keep your mouth shut so people only suspect you maybe a fool, rather than open it and remove all doubt.
laugh.gif

PS I dont read the Mail.
You really do need to wind your neck in as you are just being an unpleasent bitter tool now.

Spent silly money on an ebay"classic" bike worth naff all by any chance?

Idiot.

It looks to be in good nick; should be an easy job...
:biggrin: Yes its been stored for years unused & should be easy to renovate Thanks for your kind comments regards Carlton Flier :biggrin:

Moderators

Legendary Member
You really do need to wind your neck in as you are just being an unpleasent bitter tool now.

Spent silly money on an ebay"classic" bike worth naff all by any chance?

Idiot.

Zoiders - there is no need to be abusive.
Personal abuse will not be tolerated.
Watch it.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Looks like Zoiders has been on the funny juice again.

Well, I think that would make a nice run around, and looks to be in very good condition.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
Well, Zoiders, if you think someone's being abusive you could report it to the Mods. That's what they're there for.

Back OT - I think it's a nice enough bike. I'd have no qualms about riding it.

Well, Zoiders, if you think someone's being abusive you could report it to the Mods. That's what they're there for.

Back OT - I think it's a nice enough bike. I'd have no qualms about riding it.
:rolleyes: Right lets get this thread back on track I,v oiled the chrome rims with a mixture of 151 & Duckoil (same as LPS1/WD40) light rust has now gone. I have given the frame a warm wash with car wax/shine scrubbed the seat Freed off the Weinmann Centre Pull Brakes with 151 light oil, same treatment with the Gear Levers they all now work as they should The tyres have been blown up & they have remained up (I will be swapping these for some brand new ones soon as I go into Town to collect them ) That horrible red sponge tape thingy has to go for some nice black herringbow cloth bar tape.So after a good fettle & light oiling I have a very nice vintage Raleigh racer for not a lot of money & just right for knocking about on.More pictures very soon regards. Carlton Flier :thumbsup:

Top Bottom