Raleigh Magnum

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Look forward to seeing the cycle nows its had a bit of TLC.
:rolleyes: Three steps forward & two steps back with this bike re-build although its very low miles & little used it has been stood un-used for about 26 years & there lies the problem. Dispite loads of oil into all the cables etc the stem gearchange has fallen apart with bits exploding in all directions while out riding it on a test run near the main A57 Bypass into Worksop (its busy) Pity because although a bit odd-ball this system worked OK I will be replacing it with some normal twin lever changers soon as time allows :biggrin:

Attachments

• DSC03228.JPG
    DSC03228.JPG
    264.6 KB · Views: 104

Spokesmann

Keeping the Carlton and Sun names alive...
:rolleyes: Three steps forward & two steps back with this bike re-build although its very low miles & little used it has been stood un-used for about 26 years & there lies the problem. Dispite loads of oil into all the cables etc the stem gearchange has fallen apart with bits exploding in all directions while out riding it on a test run near the main A57 Bypass into Worksop (its busy) Pity because although a bit odd-ball this system worked OK I will be replacing it with some normal twin lever changers soon as time allows :biggrin:

Levers on the down tube?

:biggrin: A few more pictures the bike has cleaned up quite well & I,m pleased with it just the gear levers & tyres to change now :biggrin:

Attachments

• DSC03236.JPG
    DSC03236.JPG
    348 KB · Views: 226
  • DSC03237.JPG
    DSC03237.JPG
    353.4 KB · Views: 230
  • DSC03238.JPG
    DSC03238.JPG
    360.6 KB · Views: 201
  • DSC03239.JPG
    DSC03239.JPG
    347.5 KB · Views: 237

Spokesmann

This old machine has tidied up well, its never going to be a classic, but somehow works since this is what cheaper end Raleighs were like, a nice time warp machine. No nonsense solid mount.

paulsgreen

paulsgreen

I have had one of these for donkey's years. I have been happy with it and it was going fine till the rear derailleur cable outer wore out.

If you are going to be replacing your gears will you be haveing a gear change cable going spare by any chance?

Goldie

Über Member
That looks in lovely condition. I saw it on ebay and was really, really tempted even though I couldn't possibly argue that I need another bie. It sort of feels like a two weeled version of Gene Hunt's Mk3 Cortina, if that makes sense...

Spokesmann

That looks in lovely condition. I saw it on ebay and was really, really tempted even though I couldn't possibly argue that I need another bie. It sort of feels like a two weeled version of Gene Hunt's Mk3 Cortina, if that makes sense...

Very well said. Captures the period well.

Could be Gene Hunt's Quattro!
biggrin.gif

Very well said. Captures the period well.

Could be Gene Hunt's Quattro!
biggrin.gif
:sad: Sad to say this old bike went missing at Rufford Park last Saturday afternoon along with a 23inch framed Dawes Super Galaxy both bikes were well chained up together & to a steel fence :angry: To their credit Notts Police have done all they could. A word of warning /message to the scrote,s who pinched our bikes We are both well miffed so don,t dare go out on either bike in the Notts area :angry:

Spokesmann

:sad: Sad to say this old bike went missing at Rufford Park last Saturday afternoon along with a 23inch framed Dawes Super Galaxy both bikes were well chained up together & to a steel fence :angry: To their credit Notts Police have done all they could. A word of warning /message to the scrote,s who pinched our bikes We are both well miffed so don,t dare go out on either bike in the Notts area :angry:

Sorry to hear this, there are some low life individuals who will steal anything.

roadbiker

iv had my raleigh magnum road bike for a year now and i haven't had any problems apart from punches and i think this bike is a truly great bike.
i have refurbished my raleigh magnum and put new peddles, stem adaptor and stem, new iner tubes, tyres, brake pads, friction gearing ect and still improving.

the fork doesn't snap there is nothing wrong with that and its not like a gas pipe.
iv spend around £80 doing my bike up and still doing more.
im 14 and i adore my raleigh magnum and i think all you readers should get one.

iv had my raleigh magnum road bike for a year now and i haven't had any problems apart from punches and i think this bike is a truly great bike.
i have refurbished my raleigh magnum and put new peddles, stem adaptor and stem, new iner tubes, tyres, brake pads, friction gearing ect and still improving.

the fork doesn't snap there is nothing wrong with that and its not like a gas pipe.
iv spend around £80 doing my bike up and still doing more.
im 14 and i adore my raleigh magnum and i think all you readers should get one.
:biggrin: Mmmmmmmm well said that young chap Magnums are great bikes & I wish I still had mine! Good luck with your ongoing restoration post us some pictures of it via this link regards Carlton Flier :biggrin:

Top Bottom