Raleigh question

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

S-Express

You seem absolutely determined to pay top money for scrap. Why?

I will leave the bike to the experts but I have a pair of Super Champion Gentleman on another bike and they are very nice rims. They are for Clinchers not tubulars but you may prefer this. They Weigh just under 500g a rim which is not bad for a clincher and have a reputation for being well made and quite robust.

It's interesting to see them on a Raleigh as they are very "French" ( compared to Mavic which are simply French), maybe they were original spec for the French market or perhaps the original owner swapped them out.

OP
OP
woodbutcher

woodbutcher

Veteran
You seem absolutely determined to pay top money for scrap. Why?
It does look a bit like that but l can assure you that l won't buy anything unless it gets the seal of approval or at least a nod from you guys !
French e bay does seem to be overloaded with iffy stuff though !

OP
OP
woodbutcher

woodbutcher

Veteran
I will leave the bike to the experts but I have a pair of Super Champion Gentleman on another bike and they are very nice rims. They are for Clinchers not tubulars but you may prefer this. They Weigh just under 500g a rim which is not bad for a clincher and have a reputation for being well made and quite robust.

It's interesting to see them on a Raleigh as they are very "French" ( compared to Mavic which are simply French), maybe they were original spec for the French market or perhaps the original owner swapped them out.
S-Express says bike is scrap...oh well try again.

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
The Raleigh is far too expensive.
Are you looking for a vintage/ retro bike?
How tall are you?
What is your budget?
I've been looking on eBay France and there are some nice bikes, let us know your requirements so we can post a link or two.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
That's a very nice Raleigh but again the price is a bit high for me, maybe it's France.

OP
OP
woodbutcher

woodbutcher

Veteran
How tall are you?
What is your budget?
I've been looking on eBay France and there are some nice bikes, let us know your requirements so we can post a link or two.
How tall are you?
What is your budget?
Thats very good of you, I have a 1965 ish. Carlton Franco Italia which l am in the process of cleaning up for riding this summer and l have kind of got the bug, so l am looking for another vintage bike either Raleigh/ Carlton or even an interesting French manufactured bike and l don't mind if they need cosmetic work doing to them. I am 5'7" tall and depending on condition and how interesting the bike is l would stretch to 350-400 € including delivery.

OP
OP
woodbutcher

woodbutcher

Veteran
Scrap is probably harsh - it's rideable. But what are you actually looking for?
I guess ideally l would like another Raleigh/Carlton vintage bike or even an interesting French manuf. maybe needing some cosmetic work. Basically l need another project for when l finish my Carlton Franco Italia .

How tall are you?
What is your budget?

The first question is, does @woodbutcher really, really really want a Raleigh? If the answer is yes, and let's be honest we can all understand if the answer is yes, and if you are in South West France then it means paying a premium over UK prices. Unless of course you are very patient and or very lucky.

If on the other hand the answer is "I just want a nice old bike" then it is game on and welcome to the world of old French bikes with idiosyncratic threading and 7mm bolts on quill stems.

I had a similar experience. I live in Brussels and was looking for a Raleigh, I had my eye out for a Team Record, the European market model with 531 frame. Despite following the small adds for Belgium, France and Raleigh mad Netherlands, nothing suitable came up, so after a few months I broadened my search, to nice but inexpensive. I then got very lucky and stumbled across a Peugeot PY 10 misdiscribed as being Aluminium (Owner had confused his Reynolds) and in the Dutch speaking part of the country where almost no one is interested in French bikes. As a result both the seller and I walked away happy.

The moral of this rambling tale? You can find love in the most unexpected places:wub:

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
IMG_0855.JPG
IMG_0856.PNG
I'm not sure how to post a link (I don't speak French!) but this is a nice Vitus. You need no more than a 21 inch frame.
It is however more retro than vintage. I'll look for more when I get home.

OP
OP
woodbutcher

woodbutcher

Veteran
The first question is, does @woodbutcher really, really really want a Raleigh? If the answer is yes, and let's be honest we can all understand if the answer is yes, and if you are in South West France then it means paying a premium over UK prices. Unless of course you are very patient and or very lucky.

If on the other hand the answer is "I just want a nice old bike" then it is game on and welcome to the world of old French bikes with idiosyncratic threading and 7mm bolts on quill stems.

I had a similar experience. I live in Brussels and was looking for a Raleigh, I had my eye out for a Team Record, the European market model with 531 frame. Despite following the small adds for Belgium, France and Raleigh mad Netherlands, nothing suitable came up, so after a few months I broadened my search, to nice but inexpensive. I then got very lucky and stumbled across a Peugeot PY 10 misdiscribed as being Aluminium (Owner had confused his Reynolds) and in the Dutch speaking part of the country where almost no one is interested in French bikes. As a result both the seller and I walked away happy.

The moral of this rambling tale? You can find love in the most unexpected places:wub:
The funny thing is that l am not sure if l should be worried or reassured by what you say, however l really would like a Raleigh for old times sake and l will be patient at least for a while.....then l will venture into unknown (by me) French bike territory, and maybe stumble across love !

Top Bottom