Raleigh Record Ace 1982

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Sterba

Sterba

Über Member
The levers are Shimano BL - R550, widely available for around GBP 15, and designed for calipers. The cable pull with the calipers is quite short. It is the V brakes that need the longer pull because of their greater leverage, but you can get levers like this with a two position cable end holder, so they can do either.

Yes, the 6 speed block was the original narrow one, the 7 speed ones are fat enough to fit modern 130mm drop outs and fill the same space as a 9 speed at least. The Alvio derailleur is the highest spec you can go in Shimano to get the correct shifting on the more widely spaced 7 speed freewheels. Above that spec, the parallogram is different, although they do work OK.

thegravestoneman

three wheels on my wagon
I too had one like that from new to until last year when the travelling folk decided they deserved it more than me. Mine had several updates from the original spec over the years including a change in colour to a darker green ( to match Greene King Abbots cans at the time sign written Abbot as well, oh and the head badge cut from the can) whilst having cantilevers and downtube braze-ons added. I found that the change from 27 to 700c made it feel more planted on the road but made the pedals catch on corners. I think I still have one original brake and the 4 wheel guides for the brakes that I fitted to something else. The joy of any bike is making them fit your needs. The RRA was the last bike I bought 'out of the box' until this year with my Cinelli although I did spec some changes on that before I rode it home.

Enjoy....

OP
OP
Sterba

Sterba

Über Member
I looked into it, but they were a bit too expensive at this time of the year. The silk worms only spin the thread when there is an "R" in the month, and it doesn't keep well until it is bonded into multi-strands. Others have told me that wheels with GA spokes are very comfortable to ride, but in the end I decided to stick with the original Jenolite-covered rusty steel DBs because my LBS could match them with cut-to-size ones to replace those that wouldn't spring loose from the nipples when I tried to adjust them. I'll take another look at GAs when I build my next wheelset. Thanks for the tip.

bikerchaz

So, with apologies for the delay, here is the rest of the story about the conversion of my Raleigh Record Ace. First, here are the components I took off. The bike was completely dismantled. The bits were a mix of famous brands and minimally-branded items, likely made for Raleigh by SR in Japan. The brochure kindly shown earlier by RRAfromnew gives better details. All of mine are in pretty good condition, more or less a complete groupset. The freewheel is a 6-speed and the downtube levers are not indexed. The cranks are lightly scuffed by toestraps, although the bike didn't come with pedals. Front and rear derailleurs are Campag Gran Sport. Weinmann 603s. The fluted seatpin appears in the 83 catalogue, although the frame was made in the previous year, I guess it took a while to build.
7OpJNBp.jpg

Here is what happened next. Apologies to you purists, but this has turned it into my ideal bike. The stem is still a bit high, but I start at that level and then gradually reduce it, to avoid scuff marks. Shimano flat bar levers are very easy to use and give great pull. Shimano 7 speed clicker on the right and 3 speed on the left, simple and effective. Alvio 7 speed derailleur at the back and nondescript Shimano front changer I happened to have lying around. A triple Sugino XD600 chainset with Stronglight (prob made by Sugino anyway) alloy rings (bought from Spa Cycles in Harrogate, a very good chainset supplier). The rings are 30/40/50. Actually, other examples of this chainset I have bought, with Sugino rings, have a slightly better fit than these, while here, the area of the ring next to the bolt doesn't quite match the spider. A GBP10 handlebar suits me, the winged, bolted-on rubbers cost twice that! A GBP10 alloy stem is fine, although you have to cover up the hole for centre pull brakes with the computer. The brakes are Tektro, 339 at the front and 539 at the back, where the 700 wheels in a frame designed for 27 inch wheels required the long drop model. Dual pivot brakes are so much stronger than the old ones. These have a particularly wide QR, allowing easier wheel removal. GBP10 seat pillar is 27.2. Saddle is a leather Terry Liberator gel, very comfortable. Rackbag by Author in Prague. Rack found on a skip and straightened up in a vice, new rear light fixed in a way that makes it difficult to nick. Quite difficult to fit, as it has to share the mudguard eyelets (so, long bolts) and had to be clamped to the frame, as there are no brazings for it on the seat frame Headset original, covered in anti-rust solution. BB is new Shimano cartridge 68/107. Wheels are the original Mavic/Campag Gran Sport LF. Mudguards are the original matching golden green ones. The biggest problem was switching from a 14-28 six speed freewheel to a 13-32 seven speed item. I had to put a 2mm spacer on the axle so that the chain would clear the frame end. That meant re-dishing the wheel slightly to keep it on the centre-line. Lots of broken spokes later (despite liberal doses of WD40), replaced with the correct double butted items, I finally managed to true it up in the new position. Difficult but worth it, as I need granny gears to get up my local slope. Tyres new Conti Contacts 700 X 28, lots of comforting tread and in my experience very good at resisting punctures. I run them at circa 100psi. Pedals by MKS, exact copy of Campags of that era, toeclips also copies, of Christophe. Finding a double cable-stop for the gear cables at the top of the downtube meant some rumaging around, as these are rather expensive if you want to buy a newish one.

In a word, just right for me. I hope you like it.

Any questions, or just no interest?

6BF3apd.jpg
DDDIBIh

Here is the before shot. As you can see, this is a nicely proportioned 23" frame. In 1982, the rear brake cable still ran along the top tube, and down tube gear levers were the norm. The gear cables ran under the bottom bracket, but in a cable housing made without a plastic coating, as the corners are quite tight. The clearance is still for 27 X 1.25", but the wheels it was supplied with are 700 X 28mm, which created a brake drop issue during the updating (see later). The Brooks Professional saddle has a lovely patina and the mudguards are in a golden green that nicely offsets the frame colour. The fluted tops of the seat days are a Raleigh signature, nice enough to be copied on a Condor Superbe I have seen. More about the components coming soon.

DDDIBIh.jpg
Nice job I owned one of these in mid 80s always regretted selling it I'm on the look out for a steel frame for a project hope it turns out as good as yours

Torslanda

Regular
Nice job I owned one of these in mid 80s always regretted selling it I'm on the look out for a steel frame for a project hope it turns out as good as yours

A customer came in to the shop last year with a printout of (IIRC) the 1981 catalogue. His opening line was 'I had one of these when I was 17 and I'd like another . . .' Taking a little time and coffee it turned out he wasn't averse to a quality 531 frameset of a similar vintage ie it didn't have to be a RRA. I had a Carlton from 1980 and a bunch of similar vintage parts and built him this.
WP_000953_zps287a49e0.jpg

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Very nice. :becool:

bigjim

Legendary Member
I don't have a problem with the stopping abilities of Weinnman 500 brakes. They might need a bit more fettling or maybe servicing as they are pretty old. However the secret is to make sure the spring is lubricated in the attachment hole it slides in. They were also designed to be used from the drops as handlebars in earlier days were a lot higher and more riding was done on the drops. I find mine, used properly, powerful enough and have toured many miles on them with no problems and I am no lightweight. The bike in my Avatar pic was fitted with them as standard. I never felt the need to change them.

531Man

Hi all - I know I'm reviving an oldish thread, but this very bike, a RRA 531c is kind-of the reason for my 'handle'.
Bought from new in a Raleigh dealership in Chatham High St. at discount - the bike shop needed the space for the later model coming in.
Hence I only got the '84 catalogue, not the correct earlier ones seen above. So only today, 35 years later do I learn my bike is Ice Green, not Fern Green as there is no discernable difference in the catalogue photos from what I can see!
Anyway - lovely update job done there.
I have also changed the BB (kept the grease though :whistle:) to standard Shimano 68mm, no problem.
I think I needed it slightly longer than the Tange original for the inner ring to clear the chainstay. Provided by an old pro. shop Ken James, Ashford, Kent - now retired to the Alps I believe.
I still have and use it regularly/frequently riding out to Wye, Kent.
Talking of old pros., my LBS when a schoolboy racer (Wigmore Cycling Club) was Bill Philbrook, Arden Street, Gillingham (PAG).
Great chap with a beaming smile; if he was in a chatty mood (almost always) you would get a mug of tea with added smeared shop grease on the outside for free.
I lost touch when I stopped racing, and had no idea he was so famous and respected a frame builder until interweb days and found his life history/story on Classic Lightweights UK.
I can remember today the lugless track frame in his window, painted in blended-in proper light-spectrum colour scheme on each main tube - absolutely stunning.
I have seen others' attempts, nicely painted but they have all had the colours wrong!
Ah - memories - those were the days.
Like overtaking my Chemistry teacher in his car, me on my old Dawes Star Realmrider (stripped down - of course) going down Chatham Hill to a cycling fitness training evening.
I still have that bike too. In bit of a sorry state - I must do something about it, now I come to think of it.
Bye for now,
Robin.

531Man

You've made a smashing job of that. Love it. Well done.:smile:
(hope you didn't chuck that Gran Sport rear mech away, though!)

Hi - I had these, Nuovo Tipo Gran Sport, from new on my Raleigh Record Ace,
to quote VeloBase,
"finny Vintage User on 07/11/16 alert.png
Kind of crude in appearance and finish opposed to higher end models but still works great. Bonus: steel cage is pretty tough and durable and a whole lot cooler then your average derailleur.
koldfushen VeloBase User on 03/30/17 alert.png
I was very surprised when I used this derailleur. Often shunned as the cheap step child to the NR and SR models, this derailleur shifted my 6 speed freewheel smooth as butter. Used it in harsh condition as well. I was surprised."

The use of those hex-headed bolts instead of Allen key sockets spoils it for me.
You wern't thinking of the original Gran Sport from the 50's-60's were you?
Much more charismatic.
And rebuildable, made of plated Bronze.
Regards,
Robin.

Hi all - I know I'm reviving an oldish thread, but this very bike, a RRA 531c is kind-of the reason for my 'handle'.
Bought from new in a Raleigh dealership in Chatham High St. at discount - the bike shop needed the space for the later model coming in.
Hence I only got the '84 catalogue, not the correct earlier ones seen above. So only today, 35 years later do I learn my bike is Ice Green, not Fern Green as there is no discernable difference in the catalogue photos from what I can see!
Anyway - lovely update job done there.
I have also changed the BB (kept the grease though :whistle:) to standard Shimano 68mm, no problem.
I think I needed it slightly longer than the Tange original for the inner ring to clear the chainstay. Provided by an old pro. shop Ken James, Ashford, Kent - now retired to the Alps I believe.
I still have and use it regularly/frequently riding out to Wye, Kent.
Talking of old pros., my LBS when a schoolboy racer (Wigmore Cycling Club) was Bill Philbrook, Arden Street, Gillingham (PAG).
Great chap with a beaming smile; if he was in a chatty mood (almost always) you would get a mug of tea with added smeared shop grease on the outside for free.
I lost touch when I stopped racing, and had no idea he was so famous and respected a frame builder until interweb days and found his life history/story on Classic Lightweights UK.
I can remember today the lugless track frame in his window, painted in blended-in proper light-spectrum colour scheme on each main tube - absolutely stunning.
I have seen others' attempts, nicely painted but they have all had the colours wrong!
Ah - memories - those were the days.
Like overtaking my Chemistry teacher in his car, me on my old Dawes Star Realmrider (stripped down - of course) going down Chatham Hill to a cycling fitness training evening.
I still have that bike too. In bit of a sorry state - I must do something about it, now I come to think of it.
Bye for now,
Robin.
Glad you revived the thread as one of the best classics bikes seen on this humble forum. The bike of my dreams in the 80s...alas couldn't afford one so got a nasty 'mail order' piece of cr*p which fell apart cycle camping on the IOW. You gets what you pay for!

PHL67

Veteran
So, with apologies for the delay, here is the rest of the story about the conversion of my Raleigh Record Ace. First, here are the components I took off. The bike was completely dismantled. The bits were a mix of famous brands and minimally-branded items, likely made for Raleigh by SR in Japan. The brochure kindly shown earlier by RRAfromnew gives better details. All of mine are in pretty good condition, more or less a complete groupset. The freewheel is a 6-speed and the downtube levers are not indexed. The cranks are lightly scuffed by toestraps, although the bike didn't come with pedals. Front and rear derailleurs are Campag Gran Sport. Weinmann 603s. The fluted seatpin appears in the 83 catalogue, although the frame was made in the previous year, I guess it took a while to build. View attachment 256104

Here is what happened next. Apologies to you purists, but this has turned it into my ideal bike. The stem is still a bit high, but I start at that level and then gradually reduce it, to avoid scuff marks. Shimano flat bar levers are very easy to use and give great pull. Shimano 7 speed clicker on the right and 3 speed on the left, simple and effective. Alvio 7 speed derailleur at the back and nondescript Shimano front changer I happened to have lying around. A triple Sugino XD600 chainset with Stronglight (prob made by Sugino anyway) alloy rings (bought from Spa Cycles in Harrogate, a very good chainset supplier). The rings are 30/40/50. Actually, other examples of this chainset I have bought, with Sugino rings, have a slightly better fit than these, while here, the area of the ring next to the bolt doesn't quite match the spider. A GBP10 handlebar suits me, the winged, bolted-on rubbers cost twice that! A GBP10 alloy stem is fine, although you have to cover up the hole for centre pull brakes with the computer. The brakes are Tektro, 339 at the front and 539 at the back, where the 700 wheels in a frame designed for 27 inch wheels required the long drop model. Dual pivot brakes are so much stronger than the old ones. These have a particularly wide QR, allowing easier wheel removal. GBP10 seat pillar is 27.2. Saddle is a leather Terry Liberator gel, very comfortable. Rackbag by Author in Prague. Rack found on a skip and straightened up in a vice, new rear light fixed in a way that makes it difficult to nick. Quite difficult to fit, as it has to share the mudguard eyelets (so, long bolts) and had to be clamped to the frame, as there are no brazings for it on the seat frame Headset original, covered in anti-rust solution. BB is new Shimano cartridge 68/107. Wheels are the original Mavic/Campag Gran Sport LF. Mudguards are the original matching golden green ones. The biggest problem was switching from a 14-28 six speed freewheel to a 13-32 seven speed item. I had to put a 2mm spacer on the axle so that the chain would clear the frame end. That meant re-dishing the wheel slightly to keep it on the centre-line. Lots of broken spokes later (despite liberal doses of WD40), replaced with the correct double butted items, I finally managed to true it up in the new position. Difficult but worth it, as I need granny gears to get up my local slope. Tyres new Conti Contacts 700 X 28, lots of comforting tread and in my experience very good at resisting punctures. I run them at circa 100psi. Pedals by MKS, exact copy of Campags of that era, toeclips also copies, of Christophe. Finding a double cable-stop for the gear cables at the top of the downtube meant some rumaging around, as these are rather expensive if you want to buy a newish one.

In a word, just right for me. I hope you like it.

Any questions, or just no interest?

View attachment 256105
Very nice job.

Top Bottom