Raleigh Record Ace 1982

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
Glad you revived the thread as one of the best classics bikes seen on this humble forum. The bike of my dreams in the 80s...alas couldn't afford one so got a nasty 'mail order' piece of cr*p which fell apart cycle camping on the IOW. You gets what you pay for!

You gets what you pay for new. Secondhand, you can usually get a lot more than what you pay for, sometimes a large multiple more. So, with grown up wages and the passage of time, all those too-expensive bikes as youngsters are now relatively speaking, cheap as chips. Fill yer boots with vintage steel and enjoy!

531Man

You gets what you pay for new. Secondhand, you can usually get a lot more than what you pay for, sometimes a large multiple more. So, with grown up wages and the passage of time, all those too-expensive bikes as youngsters are now relatively speaking, cheap as chips. Fill yer boots with vintage steel and enjoy!

Just started on doing just that - I now have collected a Dave Yates 531st, Holdsworth Elan 84' 531 pretending to be a Professional (not with false labels, thank goodness) in beautiful metallic orange with blue panels colour scheme, and '86 Marlboro Triath Elan 531c, and a random Geoffrey Butler in Columbus Acciaio Speciale, whatever grade that is, a bit ugly in colours of brown/silver. All to be built up. Oh, and a Raleigh Lady Royale 531 for my lady, to replace her gas-pipe Silhouette (bicycle , that is).
Yes - I've just retired, and trying to regain my youth.
It is in the blood, as my father raced a Curly Hetchins that he picked up himself from the workshop. And no , he didn't leave it to me as it went to pay for a house move in '63.
Regards,
Robin.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
This is my 531c bike,

DSCN0129.JPG

A Raleigh Road Ace, admittedly a bit uprated with modernish bits

531Man

"This is my 531c bike,
A Raleigh Road Ace, admittedly a bit uprated with modernish bits"

Hi - I just looked at this again, and think the bike is a little bit more than uprated.
Are those front mudguard eyes I see behind the front wheel nuts?
Surely, this is a racer, and had none. Have those forks been replaced, as well?
The saddle is nice - is it a Lycett Swallow? Like the one my Dawes came with and still has?
And just how tall are you, with that frame and seat post height?
Best regards,
Robin.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
"This is my 531c bike,
A Raleigh Road Ace, admittedly a bit uprated with modernish bits"

Hi - I just looked at this again, and think the bike is a little bit more than uprated.
Are those front mudguard eyes I see behind the front wheel nuts?
Surely, this is a racer, and had none. Have those forks been replaced, as well?
The saddle is nice - is it a Lycett Swallow? Like the one my Dawes came with and still has?
And just how tall are you, with that frame and seat post height?
Best regards,
Robin.
Yep new forks, the old ones were toast (bent) and those were the only similar ones I could find with a cast 'shouldered' crown. the saddle is one of the 2004 Brooks Swallow Limited Edition Titanium (a run of 999 individual numbered pieces each with a matching numbered 'certificate of authenticity) they differ from the later standard Swallow Titanium by having a hand-stitched bottom edge instead of simply being cut to shape.

DSCN0134.JPG

As for height I'm a tad under 6 feet now (I've shrunk a bit but then I am in my late 50s) but I've got long legs in fact I take 34" inside leg trousers so I've got standover height on this frame.

It was my 'quick' bike for a few years until I got my 653 TT frame which I built into an even quicker bike with mainly Campagnolo components as it had a Campagnolo Headset and Seatpost when I bought it,

DSCN0058.JPG

I have no idea who built this frame but it has some lovely touches like the cable guide tube inside the top tube, nice 'spearpoint' lugs and a gorgeous seat post cluster,
DSCN0061.JPG

Unfortunately it has no badges or decals and no frame number anywhere, best guess in many of the shops I've asked if they recognise it is it's a handbuilt special.

Oh and BTW those wheels are Roval (Specialized) Classique Pave.

Yep new forks, the old ones were toast (bent) and those were the only similar ones I could find with a cast 'shouldered' crown. the saddle is one of the 2004 Brooks Swallow Limited Edition Titanium (a run of 999 individual numbered pieces each with a matching numbered 'certificate of authenticity) they differ from the later standard Swallow Titanium by having a hand-stitched bottom edge instead of simply being cut to shape.

View attachment 459692

As for height I'm a tad under 6 feet now (I've shrunk a bit but then I am in my late 50s) but I've got long legs in fact I take 34" inside leg trousers so I've got standover height on this frame.

It was my 'quick' bike for a few years until I got my 653 TT frame which I built into an even quicker bike with mainly Campagnolo components as it had a Campagnolo Headset and Seatpost when I bought it,

View attachment 459695

I have no idea who built this frame but it has some lovely touches like the cable guide tube inside the top tube, nice 'spearpoint' lugs and a gorgeous seat post cluster,
View attachment 459697

Unfortunately it has no badges or decals and no frame number anywhere, best guess in many of the shops I've asked if they recognise it is it's a handbuilt special.

Oh and BTW those wheels are Roval (Specialized) Classique Pave.
Ooh! Large flange hubs ! :smile:

531Man

I recently rebuilt a 1982 Raleigh Record Ace. It looked pretty much as it left the Nottingham factory, with some signs of wear and tear. I can attach some more photos if anyone is intersted in seeing how the job progressed?

In 1982, club cyclists were often rather snobby about Raleighs, since they were standard bikes, not made to measure for the owner. Raleigh had sought to address this image problem by acquiring Carlton, later bringing production of these hand made steeds into the main factory. The quality rubbed off on the mass-produced frames. More of them used 531, the lugwork became finer, the fluted tops to the seat stays were attached more carefully, Campag-like ends appeared. By 1982, the Nottingham-built Raleigh Record Ace was a fine road bike, well-equipped with Campag, Mavic, Weinmann and some in-house components, all in lightweight alloy.

I am a steel-frame chap, but I am not so hung up on the original equipment that came with them at that time, so I have modified the bike to meet my current needs. I hope this won't upset the purists out there?

Now I am not sure if this is Ilkeston or Worksop, what do you think?
View attachment 255836

Surely, it's a Skipton?

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
club cyclists were often rather snobby about Raleighs, since they were standard bikes, not made to measure for the owner.

Can't see why. I have two Raleighs with 531 frames and both were nicely made and the fact they ride well tells me the geometry chosen was sound. My Royal would be close to £1,000 in today's money (if you could still buy one that is!), so hardly a budget market, mass-produced product even if 90% of Raleighs were. As much as I admire the intricate lugwork and high quality paint finishes found on many vintage custom builds, I don't believe that they were markedly better than an off-the-peg quality Raleigh or Dawes, so long as the rider's proportions permit a comfortable fit on a standard frame. If you can't get comfortable on a factory-built bike, then a custom frame makes more sense, but for most riders a standard production bike offers better value.

Can't see why. I have two Raleighs with 531 frames and both were nicely made and the fact they ride well tells me the geometry chosen was sound. My Royal would be close to £1,000 in today's money (if you could still buy one that is!), so hardly a budget market, mass-produced product even if 90% of Raleighs were. As much as I admire the intricate lugwork and high quality paint finishes found on many vintage custom builds, I don't believe that they were markedly better than an off-the-peg quality Raleigh or Dawes, so long as the rider's proportions permit a comfortable fit on a standard frame. If you can't get comfortable on a factory-built bike, then a custom frame makes more sense, but for most riders a standard production bike offers better value.
Yes . With their size the big cycle makers should have been able to have bulk bought components at a reduced price and passed some of that on to the customers.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
Yes . With their size the big cycle makers should have been able to have bulk bought components at a reduced price and passed some of that on to the customers.

Not just components, also the build process. If you compare the two extremes, namely one-off made-to-measure with bikes being built to individual orders, and totally standardised mass-production using only semi-skilled robotised humans doing the same specific task repetitively, there is a massive difference in efficiency and unit cost.
The quality product lines of the big makers tended to go for a halfway house with the benefit of economies of scale, but assembly by one dedicated builder, which tended to make the factory work more rewarding, therefore encouraging pride in the job. All my quality framed Raleigh and Dawes look to have neat brazing and the paint finish has survived in good condition considering they are, on average, over 30 years old.
Those of use who appreciate quality hand-built bikes should consider ourselves fortunate that there is so much high quality old steel around currently for such low prices. Take advantage whilst this situation lasts.

Last edited:
Top Bottom