Raleigh Record Sprint

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PHL67

Veteran
IMG_3451.JPG
IMG_3452.JPG
IMG_3453.JPG
IMG_3454.JPG
IMG_3455.JPG
IMG_3456.JPG
IMG_3457.JPG
This is a bike I was given as it had been locked away in a container in a yard for over 20 yrs.
Stripped and rebuilt.
Photo being sent to friend who gave it to me.
Add it to my collection.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Very nice. That must be one of last ones as they later lost much of the gold finished bits.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
Very smart - and I see from the sticker that the frame is a pretty decent spec as well. 501 must have been a big seller for Reynolds, you see loads of mid-quality classic steel machines out there built from it, and to a lesser degree plain-gauge 500.

Good morning

Very smart - and I see from the sticker that the frame is a pretty decent spec as well. 501 must have been a big seller for Reynolds, you see loads of mid-quality classic steel machines out there built from it, and to a lesser degree plain-gauge 500.

I had one, with all the gold bits and it was a pleasant ride although not particularly light. I bought it because it had the Reynolds sticker and at the time I couldn't afford a 531 framed model and I suspect that many others did the same.

I also suspect that 501 was part of the reason that aluminium frames started appearing in much greater volumes.

My 501 frame failed within a few thousand miles, the down tube cracked at the lug with the head tube allowing you to pull the head tube away from the down tube. I did get a replacement frame but that was nicked before it had done many miles.

Whilst in theory 501 was available as "Tubes, forks and stays" the only bikes I have ever seen were main tubes only and 501 main tubes only isn't special enough to justify craftsman who spend hours over each joint building the frames and too hard to build using robots.

For the high volume makers dropping thin steels and investing in automated aluminium welding would seem to be the future back then.

Bye

Ian

Top Bottom