Raleigh Roadster restoration advice sought

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

tyred

Legendary Member
Hi Tyred, What would you advise for the ram rods, they have lost a lot of chrome. The handle bars have lost chrome too on the levers.

It depends on the standard you're looking for.

If you want it to look like brand new, you would need to have these things re-chromed by a professional. If you're going down this road, be careful with things like the stem and the seatpost as they need to be the correct diameter to fit into the frame and if the new chrome is too thick, it won't fit. Specify the diameter. I know someone who was caught out with this before.

Otherwise, if you just want it tidy, presentable and useable, try rubbing them with tinfoil dipped in Coke or model shops sell chrome effect paint if you have no chrome plating left at all.

OP
OP
Tonee62

Tonee62

It depends on the standard you're looking for.

If you want it to look like brand new, you would need to have these things re-chromed by a professional. If you're going down this road, be careful with things like the stem and the seatpost as they need to be the correct diameter to fit into the frame and if the new chrome is too thick, it won't fit. Specify the diameter. I know someone who was caught out with this before.

Otherwise, if you just want it tidy, presentable and useable, try rubbing them with tinfoil dipped in Coke or model shops sell chrome effect paint if you have no chrome plating left at all.

I would like the bike to look tidy and to be useable, would like to get the bike back on the road without having to spend a lot of money. The more I look though the more I'm realising I could spend a bloomin fortune. The availability of components isn't too good either but I will keep looking. Thanks for the tip on Chrome Spray paint, I may just try that.....not a bad idea at all. Any ideas on where I could pick up a 28" westwood rim 40 holes.

Thanks

bobg

Über Member
Not sure agree with some of the criticisms of powder coating. Yes you lose a little of the lugwork detail but that's hardly an issue on an old Raleigh. I have found powder coating far more resilient than any autoshop finish although stove enamel is excellent if you can find someone to do it at a good price and imho £300 for an old roadster is a tad over the top, at least for me....Maybe the powder coating probs were more the fault of the bloke doing it. Many cheap firms don't adequately bead blast or degrease or etch prime or lacqueur afterwards. My local firm charges about £30 and I've never had rust coming through or any subsequent chips on the 16 bikes I've had done. My main issue with it is that they have nothing to adequately mask the BB or headtube thread and removing powdercoat from BB threads is a pain. I insert a threaded rod and and bolt on a couple of washers to cover the threads. Maybe it's worth getting some recommendations from restorers who have used powdercoating firms near you before taking the plunge :smile:

bobg

Über Member
Not sure agree with some of the criticisms of powder coating. Yes you lose a little of the lugwork detail but that's hardly an issue on an old Raleigh. I have found powder coating far more resilient than any autoshop finish although stove enamel is excellent if you can find someone to do it at a good price and imho £300 for an old roadster is a tad over the top, at least for me....Maybe the powder coating probs were more the fault of the bloke doing it. Many cheap firms don't adequately bead blast or degrease or etch prime or lacqueur afterwards. My local firm charges about £30 and I've never had rust coming through or any subsequent chips on the 16 bikes I've had done. My main issue with it is that they have nothing to adequately mask the BB or headtube thread and removing powdercoat from BB threads is a pain. I insert a threaded rod and and bolt on a couple of washers to cover the threads. Maybe it's worth getting some recommendations from restorers who have used powdercoating firms near you before taking the plunge :smile:
BTW not forgetting that you can't fill dents prior to powdercoating cos the baking process blows it out and remember that if the rust of the frame is deep enough to cause pitting then that will still show through the final finish.

OP
OP
Tonee62

Tonee62

This is interesting, I had all but written off the idea of powder coating thinking it wouldn't be worth pursuing. I have to admit though I know nothing regarding bike frames being painted. What is it about stove enamel paint, might be a daft question but is it the same paint which is used on multi fuel burners? Have you got any pics of your frames you have had powder coated. The firm you use sound good, who and where are they based?

king dick

Im looking for a 28" raleigh roadster and thankfully this thread is reassuring as I have turned a few down due to missing parts or rust. MY plan is to keep looking for the right one in need of elbow grease and tyres.
Restored is great but originality is what Im after.
Good luck with the project and update the thread as you go please.

king dick

I doubt if you will find one of 28" frame size, are you 6'6" tall?

28" wheels.

OP
OP
Tonee62

Tonee62

Guys, Whats the best way to identify my bike decals, I've had a look on the Hlloyd website but its hard just going off a text description.

OP
OP
Tonee62

Tonee62

Update on my decals quest, I've spoken to Nick at HLloyds, he's sorting me out with some. Things are looking up. I've also found a LBS who can arrange for the frame to be stove enamelled.

Top Bottom