Raleigh royal tourer rebuild

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

avecReynolds531

Veteran
This afternoon I concentrated on the frame and forks, using a mixture of WD40, fine wire wool, cutting polish and Autosol, it’s come up rather well considering how bad it was.

View attachment 526211

View attachment 526210

Next job was to build up the BB and headset, no dramas as I’d already cleaned and prepped everything, I used loose ball bearings and I’m really pleased both run super-smooth, the headset has a nice serrated washer which locks the adjustment ring which means you don’t over tighten the headset when you tighten the lock nut. I’ll see if I can get hold of a set of these for the next project as they make adjustment so much easier.

View attachment 526215
Looks really good and a nice frame.

OP
OP
Gunk

Gunk

Guru
As I’m waiting for a few parts to arrive, not much progress today, I’ve resisted putting it back together as my son and I want to build it in one go.

So today I’ve cleaned up the mudguards and stays, plus cleaned and polished the old rusty rear pannier rack which has come up well. I’ve also put the seat on the stem and built up the handle bars with the levers just to make assembly a bit quicker.

OP
OP
Gunk

Gunk

Guru

OP
OP
Gunk

Gunk

Guru
Considering it was a bare frame this morning, it’s looking good!

OP
OP
Gunk

Gunk

Guru
So after a late finish last night, I got the bike out in the garden on the stand, trued both wheels and cleaned everything again as it was all covered in greasy finger prints! I had a couple of rides around the block and got the headset and front and rear mechs adjusted, the budget friction thumb shifters are surprisingly good for a tenner. First impressions from a very limited test ride are very positive, everything is super smooth, it rides really nicely.

As with many projects I’m waiting for a five pound part to finish it, the front cable hanger for the centre pull brakes was too rusty to save and as it’s on show I decided to replace it, I found a new one on eBay and guess what, a week later it’s still not bloody arrived. 🤬

So I’ve done as much as I can really, but considering this was a project I wasn’t that enthusiastic about (I wasn’t really that keen on the bike) I’m really pleased with it. Looking on eBay at similar Royals currently for sale, the frame was in pretty good condition, most others seem very tatty.

It’ll be for sale shortly so if anyone is interested please send me a private message and I’ll send over the full spec and price. With regard to sizing, the photographs show it set up for me and I’m 5’7”

Last edited:
OP
OP
Gunk

Gunk

Guru
Finally the cable hanger arrived this morning, you see it’s a big improvement over the rusty original, I’ll fit it later and it’ll all be finished

AndyRM

XOXO
Very smart, as ever. All these rebuild threads have reminded me (not that I've forgotten) that I really have no excuse to not build up my rather lovely Bianchi, which has been gathering dust for far too long. I'm pretty sure I have all the parts in a box ready to go.

Top Bottom