Raleigh royal tourer rebuild

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gunk

Guru
I decided to start the Royal today, my initial inspection showed that all the bearings need replacing and the crankset is at the end of it’s life with non removable chainrings with bent and broken teeth.

OP
OP
Gunk

Gunk

Guru
So I roped my son in and it took an hour to get everything off except the chain ring.

The extraction thread was buggered, so I put the frame on its side on the lawn, put a block of wood under the chainset, hit the spindle with a drift and with some persuasion it popped off. The bottom bracket also fought back but my trick of using the vice to grip the fixed cup and using the frame as leverage finally got it out.

I removed the stickers and the original Raleigh decals were nicely preserved underneath, I gave both the forks and frame a quick clean and they’ve come up well, I’ll give both another deeper clean before reassembly. Shame that over the years the pump has ruined the Reynolds decal

So it’s now a pile of bits. I’ve ordered a ton of parts, and in the meantime I’ll crack on with all the cleaning and subassembly work, ready to build it back up.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
What year is that one then? It has the same pannier rack as mine came with but the paint looks a bit different, although the sticker on the downtube isn't helping. Seems to have been rather messed with, someone couldn't have liked drop bars! Mine identifies to 1985 both from the frame number and the 50th anniversary Reynolds 531 stickers. Half-chrome forks look the same.

OP
OP
Gunk

Gunk

Guru
I recon 1985, but here is the frame number. I’m going to leave it with flat bars, it’ll make a nice tourer/commuter

Last edited:

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
Nice work - the frame's scrubbed up well :smile:

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
I recon 1985, but here is the frame number. I’m going to leave it with flat bars, it’ll make a nice tourer/commuter

That looks to be a mid-1982 frame to me. Mine starts with WD5, indicating it was built in March 1985. You won't be disappointed with the ride quality of the Royal once sorted. Mine is the smoothest riding machine I have, even compare to my other 531 frames.

Did they ever sell any with smaller-than-23 1/2 inch frames?! Can't remember the last time I saw one.

They must have done, because I've seen some, but the general rule of sizing then was you bought the biggest frame you could stand astride and still put your feet flat on the ground. And don't forget any teenager lucky enough to be riding a 531 framed bike like a Royal would have included some "growing room" in the sizing as they cost the equivalent of £1,000 in today's money so you wouldn't be replacing it every year or two with a new one. They were bought large and hopefully the rider actually grew tall enough for it to fit well one day! :laugh:
I was riding a 23" frame by the time I was 14/15 and I still ride bikes around that size now.

OP
OP
Gunk

Gunk

Guru
You won't be disappointed with the ride quality of the Royal once sorted. Mine is the smoothest riding machine I have, even compare to my other 531 frames.

It’s not a keeper, firstly unlike the huge Raleigh Classic 531c I’ve just finished, I’m not really in love with this one (although that might change!) and secondly again it is just too big, although I can actually ride it, so it’ll be nice to put some test miles on before it goes to its new owner.

simongt

Guru
Several years ago I aquired a Dawes Fox in original spec & condition. Thought I'd restore to it's full glory. Saw the steel rims and thought 'steel rims, wet weather, 40 year old Weinmann centre pulls - ? Naah - !' :whistle: Long story short, now the only original parts of the bike are the frame & seat pin; :rofl: but oh, what a lovely ride it is - ! :thumbsup:
But agree, that Royale is crying out for drop bars - ! :thumbsup:

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
Several years ago I aquired a Dawes Fox in original spec & condition. Thought I'd restore to it's full glory. Saw the steel rims and thought 'steel rims, wet weather, 40 year old Weinmann centre pulls - ? Naah - !' :whistle: Long story short, now the only original parts of the bike are the frame & seat pin; :rofl: but oh, what a lovely ride it is - ! :thumbsup:
But agree, that Royale is crying out for drop bars - ! :thumbsup:
Royale, non!

This is a Royale (exact spec I bought my first wife!)

View: https://youtu.be/wr6l-BbMviI

Hijack over, as you were OP ^_^

Top Bottom