Raleigh Runabouts

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

shadaboot27

Admin please delete if this is not allowed. I guess these are 50% bicycles so hopefully will be okay.

I went to someones house to buy 2 bicycles, and I ended up buying 2x 60's Raleigh Runabouts while I was there. They look so cool! I was wondering is anyone on here knows much about them? Are they easy to fix up? The engine is seized on one but the other turns over. Im hoping that with some WD-40 and a bit of petrol I can get them going. I'd quite like to get them going then sell one and possible keep another as they look like they could be a lot of fun, and I would imagine they would be pennies to run and insure? Would be handy to go to the shops on.

Attachments

• $_57.JPG
    $_57.JPG
    258.7 KB · Views: 196

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I know nothing about them except that I saw one at the Fenman Classic a few years ago. www.fenmanclassic.co.uk

OP
OP
shadaboot27

shadaboot27

Here's some more pictures. One of them is in much better condition than the other one. The good condition one was running the last time it was used and the engine and wheels both spin so I'm hoping with a bit of WD-40, some air in the tyres and some fuel in the tank it will start. This is also the one with the v5 present, so if I can get it up and running I will be selling it. The other one is really rusty and the engine is seized but I really love the rust and the patina so I want to try get it running and I will leave it looking exactly as it does now as it really shows its age and I think it's beautiful.

Attachments

• $_57 (1).JPG
    $_57 (1).JPG
    252.3 KB · Views: 153
  • $_57 (3).JPG
    $_57 (3).JPG
    126.8 KB · Views: 139
  • $_57 (4).JPG
    $_57 (4).JPG
    212.8 KB · Views: 150
  • $_57 (5).JPG
    $_57 (5).JPG
    234.7 KB · Views: 141
  • $_57 (6).JPG
    $_57 (6).JPG
    293.6 KB · Views: 135
  • $_57 (7).JPG
    $_57 (7).JPG
    270.6 KB · Views: 141
  • $_57 (8).JPG
    $_57 (8).JPG
    267.5 KB · Views: 141

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
What do you mean by decoke?

Take the cylinder head of and remove as much of the carbon build up as possible from the head and piston crown areas.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Admin please delete if this is not allowed. I guess these are 50% bicycles so hopefully will be okay.

I went to someones house to buy 2 bicycles, and I ended up buying 2x 60's Raleigh Runabouts while I was there. They look so cool! I was wondering is anyone on here knows much about them? Are they easy to fix up? The engine is seized on one but the other turns over. Im hoping that with some WD-40 and a bit of petrol I can get them going. I'd quite like to get them going then sell one and possible keep another as they look like they could be a lot of fun, and I would imagine they would be pennies to run and insure? Would be handy to go to the shops on.
I thought you were selling your bike 'collection' due to moving/'downsizing' so where are you gonna keep these.

OP
OP
shadaboot27

shadaboot27

I know nothing what so ever about motorbikes so realistically how hard do you think it would be for me to get these running? Most of the bike is just a bicycle so all that stuff I'm alright with, its just the engine stuff i have no clue about. What would I have to do step by step to try start them? or where online is the best place to look for info or tutorials? I have rebuilt car entire car engines before at collage but it was under supervision. Any advice would be appreciated.

Top Bottom