Raleigh Runabouts

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Look in Other Marques on

http://www.c90club.co.uk/

Tell them what you have got and there might even be someone local who can come and help you. They are a good
bunch of guys

Before you take anything off the bikes take dozens of photos as you do them at each stage. Or you will forget how

they go back together.

I love them. I have a Moto Guzzi Trotter. Which is similar.

I found a bit of information about them on the net whilst researching BSA cycle factory at Handsworth Birmingham. They switched production of cycles tomaking Raleigh Runabouts. I think it said that they used a French Mobylette 2 stroke engine.
The 2 stroke engine is pretty simple. As the piston goes down fuel and air is drawn into the crankcase where it is pressurised, it is then drawn up through transfer ports to the combustion chamber to be compressed as the piston rises and then ignited by the sparkplug. As the piston is driven down on the power stroke it first of all goes past the exhaust port allowing the burnt gas to escape. The downward action of the piston also pressurises the crankcase allowing a fresh charge of fuel and air to be forced into the combustion chamber as it passes the transfer port, and so the cycle continues. The engine runs on a petrol / oil mix 25:1 or 50 : 1 or something similar. It is a bit like a lawnmower engine, there is probably a magneto on the end of the crankshaft which produces the spark for the sparkplug. There may be a set of contact breaker points there as well, sometimes these close or burn out , so no spark , no bang. Crankcase seals can fail and will lose pressure so fuel / air won't be drawn up into the cylinder. Coke and unburnt oil can foul the sparkplug and can also build up in the exhaust.

Salar

A fish out of water
I remember them and the Wisp too.
Wouldn't get my bulk up a hill though.
Once or twice I've seen a teenager riding one up the hills in Aberystwyth, at walking speed.
Good luck with the restoration, hope you get them up and running, we need to keep our old Raleighs rolling.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
I remember them and the Wisp too.
Wouldn't get my bulk up a hill though.
Once or twice I've seen a teenager riding one up the hills in Aberystwyth, at walking speed.
Good luck with the restoration, hope you get them up and running, we need to keep our old Raleighs rolling.
Once they drop to about 6mph you can pedal as well in order to climb steeper hills, about the same power output as an electric assist bike has these days.

MoultonDan

Regular
Ive owned and restored many,heres a picture of my last one.i would suggest looking online for the EACC (east anglian cyclemotor club) for more information and advice.top speed is around 27mph.yes will need mot,tax is free.you will also need l plates and a cbt if you passed your car test after 1997.

Attachments

• 11086024_10152705015971889_545401990_n.jpg
    11086024_10152705015971889_545401990_n.jpg
    103.9 KB · Views: 76
OP
OP
shadaboot27

shadaboot27

Slight update. I have almost got one of them running I'm just waiting for the new spark plug I ordered to arrive then hopefully it will start. The other one is still seized, I put some coca cola into the top of the engine as I was told it should un-seize it, I'll find out for sure tomorrow morning. But my main question is does anyone know what kind of handlebars these are and where can I get some? I'm planning to make the moped into a kind of rat rod looking type thing.

Attachments

• tumblr_ma53xc3KAF1rgpr20o1_1280.jpg
    tumblr_ma53xc3KAF1rgpr20o1_1280.jpg
    226.4 KB · Views: 74
Last edited:
Top Bottom