Raleigh - Sports, Superbe, Wayfarer or something else?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Having said to myself "no more bikes for a while" I collected the Raleigh below yesterday, bought for a minimal sum:

Raleigh_1.jpg

It needs a bit of work, having sat for at least the last 14 years. New cables, chain, tyres (one is split, the other cracked), replacement saddle and general maintenance but the seatpost moved and everything works including the Magura 3-speed gear shift, front dynamo and lights. The frame's a bit rusty in places but 'patina' is fine, although I'd like to sort the downtube and top tube decals.

Dating? It's got a '66' on the Sturmey Archer hub and the serial number is 43115 GC - is this a 1966 'GC' code or a February 1974 Gazelle as per here; https://www.jaysmarine.com/TH_raleigh_serials.html

Raleigh_2.jpg

What is it though? A Raleigh Sports normally has a white mudguard end - this doesn't have it, although it does have a very worn "The All Steel Bicycle" logo at the top of the seat tube. A Raleigh Superbe has a fluted chain cover - this doesn't. It also doesn't have the typical Raleigh Wayfarer saddle.

It's a 'winter' project to tidy up and then pass on. The frame's a 'Small' as it's a 21" but on 26x1 3/8 wheels.

Last edited:

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Looks good @DCLane
Will get your legs ready for next season .

OP
OP
DCLane

DCLane

Nice project!

If you want new 26 x 1 3/8 tyres I have two for sale on this very forum!

PM being sent now ...

I've done a 1/4 mile test ride on 40+ year-old tyres having changed a tube after the existing one split in multiple places. Everything works, if a little sticky, so I'll give the bike a go. It needs:

New tyres and another tube - ordered
New cables - ordered and I'll use what I have. Going black due to lower cost/availability
New chain - I've got some
Replacement saddle - ordered a matching style but in brown
Both wheels re-greasing and the dynamo cleaning

Last edited:

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
I think the number on the BB will prove to be a part number for the BB, the actual frame number is on the seat lug. The bike predates the Raleigh year code numbering system so the '66 dated Sturmey hub could well be original. I reckon there's a good chance the front dynohub will also have a date code on it.
The frame is a Raleigh Sports, essentially the same as the one on my rod braked bike, except mine is 23". Superbe variants were normally green, so this may well be one. Ae the rims stainless steel? SS rims were one of the things that the Superb variants had that were not standard on the regular sports roadsters.
Those are good bikes, shame it's two inches too small for me!

OP
OP
DCLane

DCLane

Is there a twist in the forks.
Don't think so, it's the photo.

I think the number on the BB will prove to be a part number for the BB, the actual frame number is on the seat lug. The bike predates the Raleigh year code numbering system so the '66 dated Sturmey hub could well be original. I reckon there's a good chance the front dynohub will also have a date code on it.
The frame is a Raleigh Sports, essentially the same as the one on my rod braked bike, except mine is 23". Superbe variants were normally green, so this may well be one. Ae the rims stainless steel? SS rims were one of the things that the Superb variants had that were not standard on the regular sports roadsters.
Those are good bikes, shame it's two inches too small for me!

The rims are stainless steel so I'm guessing it's a Suberbe rather than a Sports as it's got the 'all steel bicycle' logo, or bits of it.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
The rims are stainless steel so I'm guessing it's a Suberbe rather than a Sports as it's got the 'all steel bicycle' logo, or bits of it.

The two designations are not mutually exclusive. The basic model is a Raleigh Sports roadster, it has the sports type frame. If it's a high spec one, which the stainless rims and dynohub confirm it is, then it's also likely to be a Superbe.
If you had a top of the range Ford Cortina, like a 2000 GXL, it didn't stop being a Cortina just because it wasn't a base model.

classic33

Leg End Member
@DCLane, any chance of a picture of the head tube decal, when you're able. It may help date and type the bike.

Variants over the years and through the range it appears.

Top Bottom