Raleigh Team Banana Project

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

JhnBssll

Veteran
Excellent work, I'm looking forward to seeing this one finished ^_^

OP
OP
Gunk

Gunk

Guru
All felt good, gears all changed smoothly, so then a quick run around the block. It rides really well, super smooth and the basic 12 speed gearing will be perfect for local rides. Next weekend I’ll take it a bit further and then check everything for tightness and readjust all the cables.

I’m really pleased with it, especially considering the condition when I bought it.

98-E4622-A-A03-B-466-D-956-C-7379-EA5369-EC.jpg

I was lucky with the frame, it was completely rust free, and the BB and head bearings were both excellent. The only parts which are original is the front crankset, handlebars and seat. I’ve replaced everything else.

B5-A587-CD-311-C-4847-BB48-62712-DBB5-EE8.jpg

0-D62-EBDD-A25-F-4-BD3-8-B81-5-BB5-C7-CC56-F1.jpg

07146575-DC18-4-E3-D-923-F-96-F2-C239-D42-B.jpg

raleighnut

Legendary Member
All felt good, gears all changed smoothly, so then a quick run around the block. It rides really well, super smooth and the basic 12 speed gearing will be perfect for local rides. Next weekend I’ll take it a bit further and then check everything for tightness and readjust all the cables.

I’m really pleased with it, especially considering the condition when I bought it.

View attachment 499147

I was lucky with the frame, it was completely rust free, and the BB and head bearings were both excellent. The only parts which are original is the front crankset, handlebars and seat. I’ve replaced everything else.

View attachment 499148

View attachment 499149

View attachment 499150
Come out nice :becool:

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
You need to look after the BB and head bearings. Looking at them, they're Raleigh threading. NOS parts are expensive now and conversion to ISO is even more expensive. You can fit any JIS* lower headset parts but the upper headset must be 26tpi Raleigh.

*do NOT ream the head tube to ISO or the top Raleigh cup will be loose - Raleigh head tube ID is the same as JIS, not ISO.

OP
OP
Gunk

Gunk

Guru
Seven mile test ride today, it’s really nice and smooth. Ergos are not right, seat was too high and bars too low.

I’m going to swap the ‘80’s seat for a more modern racing saddle, but I’m nit picking I’m really pleased with it, and it’ll be perfect for commuting into the city this summer

A7-B5-E3-EA-8-C15-4370-9-CFE-EAB5-ED2-D4-CB8.jpg

Top Bottom