Raleigh Triple Pannier

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Philtofit

Hi

I'm newish to biking, looking to use it on a regular basis for local trips and some leisure miles.

I have a Giant Escape with a TorTec Tour rear rack, looking for panniers for general use for shopping, storing clothing and maybe weekend camping. Come across the Raleigh Triple on Amazon for £20. Not sure if separates are better than one piece. Not too fussed if they stay on or put on and off as required.

Can anyone give advise please?

I owned a triple pannier about 12 years ago (although it was not a Raleigh one), and for the first few months I thought it was great for hauling stuff about.

When the kids started to take an interest in their bikes, and I started to do weekend pleasure mileage as well as the daily commute and utility cycling, I found it to be heavy and unwieldy affair to deal with. I persevered with it until it fell apart and it became unusable. It was then replaced with removable individual pannier bags, a rack top bag, a small under the seat bag and a bar bag. The detachable bar bag lives permanently on the bars and contains my waterproofs and lights, and is used for that odd item of shopping needed to be collected on my way home (I can get either a loaf of bread or a gallon of cider into it :thumbsup: ). The very small bag living permanently under the seat contains only a puncture repair kit and wheel wrench for those types of unplanned emergencies.

With the 4 individual pannier bags; two front and two rear, and the rack top bag I have the option to fit only the bags needed to suit the load that I am carrying. These days they usually only get fitted when I have a large monthly grocery shop, charity shop run to do, or a camping trip. I can also quickly and easily remove these from the bike and load the shopping directly into them at the checkouts

The individual pannier bags are so much easier to remove and refit if I should get a puncture when out and about; the triple was a pain in the ass to deal with in these situations.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
If you're leaving them on the bike then they should be okay. I bought some Raleigh ones when I did my first mini-tour and they were a pain lifting the whole lot off. The midle section, the bit on top of the rack, was a zip-off rucksack which was moderately useful though.

As I recall the side panniers were a bit floppy so make sure your rack has decent side panels. I ditched them after that tour!

Don't know about the current Raleigh versions, but I had a through over style on my Raleigh Merlin in the 1970's that was perfect for popping down to the shops etc. Still got the bike and ditched the panniers just because I had better ones from other bikes. Lidl do versions, some better than others. And SJS Cycles have regular items on their Ebay site that go for between 12 and 15 pounds pretty well all the time. I think they would be decent quality, but I have no experience of them.

OP
OP
P

Philtofit

Thank for the advise and comments.

Having read Gareth's thread, I will have a fresh look at what suits me best.

I think individual panniers would be more practical. I play bowls and hoping to use the bike to travel to local away games, being able to take the panniers off would be good.

A bar bag could work for small must have items, where would I put the front light? Probably a silly question.

I was looking for a waterproof jacket, but need to see what wets are available.

I keep looking at all sorts of equipment and clothing, I'm in danger of getting confused with all the possible options. What are the essentials for 5 to 50 mile trips, with a bit a practical shopping use. Told you I was confused.

I only started to cycle a few weeks ago to help get fit, I'm now enjoying the whole experience and looking to try and made it a future past time.

Any further advise welcome.

Phil

Moodyman

Legendary Member
They looked good, but sadly no longer available; using the web link. Thanks anyway.

Sorry - yes, they're discontinued.

SJS cycles still do them and less than CRC:

http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/sjsc-black-hook-on-rear-pannier-bags-prod11550/

Moodyman

Legendary Member
For the trips I've got planned next year I'll need panniers and I've also looked at a triple set. The one I've been looking at is this: http://www.ebay.co.u...984.m1438.l2649

It's an Avenir Deluxe triple set, which has a detachable top bag/rucksack.

Don't bother. They look good, but they use too many zips.

Zips are prone to failure when packing tight. This is why all the high-end pannier makers don't use zips.

OP
OP
P

Philtofit

Moodyman

Great advise, I have just order them; look to be good and excellent value.

Just need to sort out my clothing and lights, I'm looking through the SJS site to see what else they may have for me.

Many thanks

Phil.
thumbsup.png

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Mine arrived as well, along with a Tortec Ultralite rack plus a few other bits at the same time. The panniers look fine for what I've got planned next year (3 short trips).

Top Bottom