Random Camping

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

lejogger

Guru
Hi All,

Very short notice request...

I'm cycling with my best buddy down to Cardiff tonight (from the Wirral) as part of his Stag do celebrations.
We're going to try and knock off 65 miles or so after work (get to Newtown or just after) and then do the remaining 100 miles on friday morning/early afternoon.

We've not booked anywhere to stay for tonight, instead I've got a 1 man tent and he's got a bivvy bag and we were just going to either a) find a secluded spot or b) knock at a farm to see if they've got a barn or a field (all dependent on what we come across).

I've toured a fair bit around ireland and in this country but I've always done B&Bs or proper campsites in the past, so this has raised a couple of questions... i.e.
Is it ok to be dossing down anywhere?
Does anyone have any thoughts on what is best practice? I don't want to wake up staring at the end of a shotgun!
Does anyone have any knowledge of the areas we'll be passing through?
I'm very grateful for any contributions received.

Potential issue is someone will own the land. Get permission if you can. If not then camp late, leave early and don't make a mess. Choose an out of the way spot and be willing to move if asked to. Good luck.

OP
OP
lejogger

lejogger

Guru
Potential issue is someone will own the land. Get permission if you can. If not then camp late, leave early and don't make a mess. Choose an out of the way spot and be willing to move if asked to. Good luck.
Thanks for this. We're certainly not the sort of guys to leave any litter or similar behind so that shouldn't be an issue.
If there's obvious farm buildings then we'll definitely ask permission first, but we're not going to be looking to settle down until it gets dusky.
We certainly don't want to draw attention to ourselves so will try to find somewhere as discreet as possible.
Great advice. Thanks :smile:

Oh. How could I have forgottent? Darkness is your friend. Make sure none of your refective stuff catches light from passing traffic. In fact try to get out of sight of traffic if you can. I have a small tarp which covers my bike/panniers when wild camping and my tent is green. You would have trip over me usually to find me when i'm camped!

OP
OP
lejogger

lejogger

Guru
Oh. How could I have forgottent? Darkness is your friend. Make sure none of your refective stuff catches light from passing traffic. In fact try to get out of sight of traffic if you can. I have a small tarp which covers my bike/panniers when wild camping and my tent is green. You would have trip over me usually to find me when i'm camped!
Covert ninja camping eh? :ninja:
I like your style!

Top Bottom