Rant - I want to Cycle into London but the Mrs wont let me

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
WIfey didn't like me riding along a certain road which was my most direct route to work because it was 'dangerous'. The accident stats on it weren't good (A1073, Peterborough-to-Spalding) but were all related to vehicle-related RTAs. Plus which she's got a skewed perception of how dangerous cycling is as she's not a confident cyclist in traffic/with vehicles. As far as your problem goes, have you tried discussing it with her, would evidence-based stats help (how many accidents on your proposed route etc), or are there alternative routes you could take (cycle paths, canal towpaths)?

vickster

Legendary Member
Yes, I can cycle whereever I want, Just not into London between the hours of 7-9am and out of london 4-7pm! She thinks I will die pure and simple. Was looking at the Cycling superhighways and can get pretty close to my office in Victoria, are they actually any good?
Full of MGIF cyclists surrounded by traffic ime. CS8 might be better than CS7 I guess

I got knocked off on CS7 at Clapham South at 6pm on a Sunday. May have skewed my perception of the safety of cycling somewhat :sad:

You could dump your girlfriend and find a new one who commutes into London :whistle:

Last edited:

Kookas

Über Member
Shouldn't balance of power be equal in a relationship? Not just, 'she won't let me so that's that'. Unless you did actually debate it.

The Jogger

Legendary Member
To OP next time you are getting your pocket money from her, put your foot down ( yes even stamp it ) take a deep breath and say I'm going (to cycle) in all the way but I will wear a helmet.

Last week my wife walked from Waterloo to Russel Sq and she complained about the pollution, she suggested I cycle to the next station here and back instead of cycling in London. I did acknowledge what she said........

The Jogger

Legendary Member
MGIF= TWIT or just change the vowel.

Simontm

Veteran
I don't blame her, frankly cycling in from our neck of the woods can be terrifying when the traffic is bad during term time. Both drivers and impatient MGIF cyclists! I certainly wouldn't want to do it on a cold, dark, wet evening!

A warm summer holidays day in late July / August is pleasant however.

Can you cycle part of the way so you aren't playing outer zone fares? Where do you work? Ride to morden and pick up the tube (but get a couple of good d locks if leaving a bike near the tube)

MGIF? New one on me.

Are these the ones that also frown their way round North Surrey at the weekends?

Top Bottom