Rant - I want to Cycle into London but the Mrs wont let me

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Thursday guy

Isn't there the argument that with the traffic being greater in London, vehicles will move a lot slower, often coming to a stand still, which would make for a safer cycling environment with less cars buzzing past you at high speeds?

vickster

Legendary Member
You'd think, but there's also much more lane changing, cutting in and out, both vehicles and cyclists...and they don't always look!

crazyjoe101

I think you have more influence over traffic in Central London than you do in areas where traffic is flowing 'freely' or much faster than you.

Origamist

Legendary Member
Isn't there the argument that with the traffic being greater in London, vehicles will move a lot slower, often coming to a stand still, which would make for a safer cycling environment with less cars buzzing past you at high speeds?

It would depend on how you defined "safer". There's probably a greater likelihood of a collision in a traffic congested city like London due to the sheer number of road user interactions, but as the vast majority of roads are limited to 30mph or 20mph (and motorised traffic can often be going considerably slower than that) survivability in the event of a collision is increased (you're far more likely to survive at 20mph). However, this is not true of HGV and cyclist collisions.

Once traffic speeds get above 40mph, in the event of a collision between a cyclist and a car, the grim reality is that you will be far more likely to die than survive.

More cheerily, you're likely to live longer if you cycle, so just ride.

Dave the Smeghead

Über Member
It would depend on how you defined "safer". There's probably a greater likelihood of a collision in a traffic congested city like London due to the sheer number of road user interactions, but as the vast majority of roads are limited to 30mph or 20mph (and motorised traffic can often be going considerably slower than that) survivability in the event of a collision is increased (you're far more likely to survive at 20mph). However, this is not true of HGV and cyclist collisions.

Once traffic speeds get above 40mph, in the event of a collision between a cyclist and a car, the grim reality is that you will be far more likely to die than survive.

More cheerily, you're likely to live longer if you cycle, so just ride.

I agree - just ride

I always found cycling in London to be fun. Variety, lots of continental folks on bikes as well as locals and much slower traffic but constant and heavy. There are also plenty of lanes and backroads.

Just don't be in the inside of a tight turn. Either you fall back or you go ahead faster of any vehicle. And there are numerous such turns.

The apprehension over time dissipates as the confidence grows and you will be glad that you conquered London, one of the great capitals of the World.

Top Bottom