Rant - I want to Cycle into London but the Mrs wont let me

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
One last point....just to play devils advocate for a second...there is the distinct possibility that your wife is right...perhaps you are a really unsafe rider and she just knows you better than we do?

Just sayin.

Time to have a talk, what is aceptable risk?
last week someone from our city slipped on the way from the taxi to the front door. Hit her head and passed out and later died. Does that mean we all have to walk around in safety helmets?

And don't ask permission when you don't need it.

AndyRM

XOXO
How did you make them sit and watch this?!

Clockwork276.jpg

H Bomb

Regular
My wife was nervous about be cycling into town, particularly as I was late getting into cycling so am not very experienced at all, but it was something I really wanted to challenge myself to do.

I’m sure she’d rather I didn’t do it, but her dad is really into motorbikes and she remembers him feeling pressured by his then wife to give up the bikes (despite being a very good rider) so the first thing he did when they got divorced is buy a motorbike! So I think her attitude is tempered by that – i.e. you’ve got to live your life. There is risk inherent in everything at the end of the day, the question is whether the rewards are worth the risks, and I think they are (and since I’ve started commuting by bike she has bought one and is giving it a go too!).

To be honest I was a bit nervous myself – the media (and to be fair quite a large proportion of the cycling community) have done a pretty good job of making it sound like cycling to or from London is like something out of Mad Max! Obviously the acceptable number of cyclists killed or injured on our streets is zero, and the outcry related to these awful incidents is 100% justified, but what is often missed is the wider context of how many cycle journeys happen without incident (as mentioned in previous posts)

I guess my main advice is to decide what you want to do, for yourself – its your choice at the end of the day. This is also true when commuting by bike, just because someone else jumps a red light or goes hurtling up the inside of a bus doesn’t make it the right thing to do - you have to make your own mind up on whether its an acceptable risk!

Em-Emily

Regular
Just do it, it's her fear and if we listen to the fear it can paralyse our life and stop us from living, which is no way to live!
I am new to cycling in London I bought my bike off my friend and just did it! I wear high vis cycling jacket and lights and helmet and just watch out for the other crazies on the roads, which sometimes that's me too! lol! London is no way near as bad as people make out apart from rush hour is rush hour with cyclists too which is slow in certain areas but can be good fun when setting off at the lights! ;)

Simontm

Veteran
Funnily enough I popped up to Spin London the other week and realised it was the first time since I was a teenager that i had cycled in town.

Tell you what, aside from the traffic, I reckon - and especially on the embankment - it's got better than before. It was a real risk before.

Risk is relative. For example, on my commute, I find the A232 from Nonsuch to Croydon hairy enough that I now only join it at Carshalton!

Funnily enough I popped up to Spin London the other week and realised it was the first time since I was a teenager that i had cycled in town.

Tell you what, aside from the traffic, I reckon - and especially on the embankment - it's got better than before. It was a real risk before.

Risk is relative. For example, on my commute, I find the A232 from Nonsuch to Croydon hairy enough that I now only join it at Carshalton!

Exactly, it's all relative, some people are just scared of London. It's no worse than any other British city, just behave like traffic, be predictable, take the lane, all the usual stuff.

It's weird, my Polish friend is working in London and she says NO WAY would she ever cycle in the capital. The thing is, I've cycled in Kraków where she lived, it's fine. Same as London. It's about perception.

Turbo Rider

Just can't reMember
At the end of the day, it's up to you mate & probably depends on how much she's going to go on at you. Stats and stories are all well & good, but they won't save you from earache and as they said in White Men Can't Jump...exert...(the woman has left him by this point)...

Sidney Deane: Billy, I have four words for you: "Listen to the Woman".
Billy Hoyle: What the hell does that mean, "Listen to the woman"? I TRIED to listen to the woman and you're the one who talked me out of it.
Sidney Deane: Wait a minute. I didn't talk you out of anything. I presented you with an option and you took it.

On a personal note though, I'd either just go out and do what I wanted, or tell her I'm going somewhere else and go there anyway...

Top Bottom