Rapha Core or DHB Aeron bib shorts?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dwn

I've recently purchased my first pairs of bib tights, with pretty mixed results. Accordingly, I'd be interested in some advice before buying bib shorts. My chief criteria is comfort for all day rides - so a fairly cushioned pad. From magazine reviews I've narrowed it down to dhb Aeron or Rapha Core. Any experience of these for all day cycling?

I know that endura are also highly recommended, but the f260 bib tights I tried yesterday had a very comfortable pad - barely aware of it for the 40 miles or so I did - but the straps were uncomfortable and the tights were digging into the top of my thighs from about halfway
The legs were also too long for me, something I have also found with a cheaper pair of their waist shorts.

The Mavic bib tights I bought are a really good fit, but the pad was no good for me - not enough cushioning.

So, those two brands are pretty much ruled out.

As always, really interested to hear the experience of others. I know it's all highly subjective, but ..........

Thanks

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
I use DHB Aeron.
uber comfy for me on long rides.
But what's comfy for me may not be comfy for you or others.

Reactions: Dwn

Kryton521

Über Member
Mmmmmmm Unfortunately I think "comfort" varies from one to another. I like both Endura and DHB. Had some cheap import things from China, one ride, less than 20 km and they went in the bin.
The more you pay, the better the materials you get.
Also I wear a base layer next to my skin and bib short/tight over them otherwise I get terrible nipple rub!!! :blush:

If I could afford them, then yes, I'd be buying Assos etc.

Never had an uncomfortable fit in any Assos bibs yet, 3 pairs in and (2 short and 1 long) and all have been wonderfully comfortable. Super wide straps, nice open vented back and well cushioned chamois. I always buy the "last years" range and still always try on an L and the get disappointed when i'm reminded i'm an XL in Assos:ohmy:

Soltydog

Legendary Member
I have one pair of Assos shorts, luckily bought at half price. They are comfy on some bikes/saddles but as comfy on others :blush: & they are not the most comfy shorts I have. What suits one isn't always going to suit you, so you won't know until you try them yourself :okay:

OP
OP
Dwn

Dwn

I'm not surprised to see assos come up - the reviews are very very positive - but unless I can see them on sale they will remain out if my budget.

I'll give the dhb Aeron a try, and see how I get on with that.

Thanks for the responses

iluvmybike

Über Member
Look at Stolen Goat - my hubby has their bib shorts and finds them great

jay clock

Massive member
Assos easily the best.

where the Assos score is the front is low enough to get percy out when needed, and straps are super comfy. They also have the lovely kuKuPenthouse ( The front part of the insert features a round-shaped pattern insert made of skin contact textile, no foam. Not only does it create a "nest" into which the male's genitals are properly "stored", but also keeps them "cooler".) Mine are the T Cento model

I know have two pairs and they are simply wonderful

I have a couple of pairs of DHB (these) which are good too https://www.wiggle.co.uk/dhb-aeron-bib-shorts-1/?sku=101154086

Mark pallister

I’ve had a couple of pairs of dhb ,don’t last long before decals peel off and stitching comes away
Rapha core are much better quality well worth the extra
assos are the best though in my opinion,I’ve the centos and have done loads of 100 mile rides in them no problems

Had the DHB ones and found OK till I tried Castelli (ok I know their not the cheapest..). and use these constantly for 100+mile rides I was tied but the Bib shorts were still up for it. Though as others state on here what suits one may well not suit another! What about your saddle are you happy with that? as thats got a major part in your comfort. More So especially the longer the ride.

simongt

Guru
Regardless of make, I never use bib now as it's a real pain if you get caught short in the middle of nowhere and have to virtually strip off to do the necessary. On a cold & windy day, even less practical. :whistle:

Globalti

Legendary Member
Sorry to throw a spanner in the works here but you do not want a thick spongey pad, this is the same misconception that makes beginners think they want a deeply padded saddle.

What you need firstly is a saddle that suits your bum and no shorts pad will make a bad saddle better. Once you've found that you need a dense and reasonably thin foam. The disadvantage of thick pads is that they make you sweat, which allows bacterial growth and makes your skin moist and soft. A thinner denser pad will not crease or ruck up and will allow heat and moisture to escape. It will cushion your sit bones while not transferring load to soft tissue. Dhb buy a pad that's pretty good but I suspect other more expensive brands buy denser pads from the pad manufacturers.

Last edited:
Top Bottom